Daiwa Emcast Plus FS reel

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Daiwa Emcast Plus FS reel

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:46 am

This is one of Daiwa's new range of FS reels released for 2004.

It has everything you would expect from a quality fixed spool reel, but there are a few extra's which make it an absolute pleasure to use. It is a good looking reel, with 10 ball bearings, meaning that it is extremely smooth running. The front drag can be locked right down, so there is no slippage while casting - nothing worse than burnt fingers!

The drag is very sensitive, and is great for playing fish off. The blurb on the box says the reel uses the patented "Twist Buster" system, which eliminates 90% of line twist that FS reels are desperate for. The reel has infinite anti-reverse, and comes with a spare spool.

I have the 6000 size, which swallows a truely massive 350m of 20lb line. The reel has a tapered spool, and the line really flies off the reel when casting. There are three other (smaller) sizes available also.

One of the best features of the reel is the handle. It is huge! The handle gives massive winching power and is great to use. I've used my other fixed spool reels since and their handles feel puny and awkward in comparison.

I have matched this reel with my Supercast-X rod, and it's a great combination, light but powerful.

The reel retails at £79.99 mail order in the UK, with a cheaper, but similar model, the Emcast (with 7 bb's) going for £59.99. With P&P, the Emcast Plus works out at about 135 euro. However I have seen the reels in town for 150 euro, so it might be worth spending the extra 15 euro in the knowledge that you can return the reel should something go wrong, rather than having to post it to the UK.

I have no hesitation in recommending this reel, it's the best I've used to date.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

daiwa combo

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:16 pm

hi Steve

Im thing of purchasing a similar FS combination, however ther appears to be a new Diawa STX out.

do you know anything about this rod - is it a newer version of the supercast X range.

thanks

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:07 pm

Not seen one yet, but got a very good review in Sea Angler from John Holden. I don't trust Sea Angler review wise, they seem to give everything a good review. John Holden seems to be different though, he tends to be a bit more honest.

I do know you can pick up a 12ft STS (new one) fixed spool from Spotty Dog Tackle for about 129 sterling plus P&P. That works out as about 230/240 euro including p&P. The old Supercast X retails at 337 in Irish Tackle shops.

Check out their add in Sea Angler, you'll be saving at least 100 euro by getting it mail order.
Steve O'Hanlon

STS Diawa

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:17 pm

thanks steve

I have been looking through the sea angler mag for special offers. Im thinking of taking a trip over the water and purchase it over there along with a few other bits and pieces.

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers