Old Gear that you think is great

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Re: Old Gear that you think is great

Postby fishfinger » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi everyone. One of my old favorites is an 8o's vintage Zziplex Ng1. It's a high reel classic pendulum rod. short rod by modern standards and better for it imo. still casts well and has amazing bite detection. Rebuilt once.The one I will never part with.
fishfinger
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Balsafloat10 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:32 pm

This post takes me back.
The Shimano Speedmaster was horrific to cast but what a reel to fish close in into the kelp or in the boat. I dropped mine out of my rucksack onto the floor one day and that was the end of it. Nearly cried!
I still use two old abu rods I got in the 80s: an 8ft abu atlantic 483 spinning rod that some might remember as they had the forward angled eyes like the famous 484 beachcaster and an ABU Atlantic 11FT Bass rod. Both have completely different actions to modern rods but cast and fish so well.
Best purchase ever however was Conoflex Oblivion totally triptonic. It's about 25 years old now and I can see absolutely no reason to buy another med/heavy beach rod any time soon.
Balsafloat10
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Matteo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

My favourite rod which I still have and use is an aged Greys Orion haven't found anything that feels the same so I'm going to have it rebuild as it's a bit tatty and hope for many more years of use
Matteo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby philthefish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Still my fav Rod has to be my Diawa Paul Kerry Supercast,powerful and brilliant bite detection.Better than a lot of my modern rods.
philthefish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Previous

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers