Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:48 am

May - Gilt head bream / Plaice Ullcatch Nominated Species

Re: May - Gilt head bream / Plaice Ullcatch Nominated Species

Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 am

Off ya go lad...

Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 pm

North Antrim
"More rocks this time, Dan and I got set up again, and were treated to the sight of 4 or 5 gannets diving on something... just out of casting range... typical... So down to the fishing, Dans Launce from earlier was yet to be touched, so I asked (honest), if I could wack it onto a drop down pulley and try to catch something a bit bigger. In honesty I was hoping for a big Turbot, which I'd heard this mark produced from time to time, We went exploring for a bit and got back to the rods after about 5 minutes, it looked like I'd been slacklined, happy days, so I hit into it, to feel a dead weight, Dan saw the bend in the rod and came over for a nosey... "It's a bit of Kelp and a stone, or a bloody crab" was all he got from me... until about 10 yards out the fish started giving an account of itself... had half the tapered shockleader on before I saw the fish (I nearly keeked the whips), within a couple of foot of the surface the fish started really giving it some, but luckily it was easily controlled with the zziplex, only think I was truely worried about was a knot or the snood giving way.... luckily it didn't and in one swift motion the fish was on the rocks... Caught somewhere between relief and disbelief I got it unhooked a couple of pics, and attempted to measure it, its tail lay a good 3 or 4cm over the end of a 45cm rule (its really 46cm as there's a cm after the last mark), so I'm gonna call it a 49/50cm fish, with a good 2cm depth, the converter I was checking online put the fish between 2lb13oz and 3lb, and it felt every bit of it, a new PB for me, and a hell of a fish to end the day. Release was perfect, I didn't want to simply chuck the beast back into the water, for fear of it having tired so much during the fight, so I kicked off the socks and shoes, and released it on a little beach just round the corner, I held it for a minute before it left my hands and swam off strongly... Great end to a pleasent day...."

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39449&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Attachments
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG (126.04 KiB) Viewed 4199 times

Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 am

Reminder, reports + pics of Plaice/Gilt Head Bream!
Boat or shore..

Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 pm

thats a belter drew - nice one!

Sun May 27, 2012 9:47 pm

cork harbour 23rd may moonshine
headed out early wednesday morning with the weather giving an increasing southerly, after lauching was heading to mark for start of ebb slightly bumpy sea but nothing to bad.Set up rod with spreader bar and lots of bling baited with rag tipped with squid down it went while sorting other gear out noticed a tap gave some line and continued task looked at rod thump thump picked up rod lifted weight fish on, a few minutes later flash of white then clear orange spots sighted a few anxious moments til fish was in the net a cracker 54cm by 30cm 4.2lb.quick weigh then phone call and steamed in to pier to meet a witness for weighing and photos thanks tony headed back out after plenty more fish 8) but nothing to beat my new p.b
Attachments
phpyAyf30AM.jpg
phpyAyf30AM.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 23009 times
php3BWtlMPM.jpg
php3BWtlMPM.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
phpDdNnhYPM.jpg
phpDdNnhYPM.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
phpJGZ2JjPM.jpg
phpJGZ2JjPM.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
phpbkARZFPM.jpg
phpbkARZFPM.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

Tue May 29, 2012 9:59 am

haha... That's my fish blown out of the water man! What a fish! 8)

Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Drew wrote:haha... That's my fish blown out of the water man! What a fish! 8)

nah i reckon drews is better given that
1) its from the shore
and
2) it was caught off the antrim coast, which is turning more and more into a barren wasteland every year

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am

I couldnt beat Drews this time round :( But damn they are both fine fish, They both deserve something!! :D (hate to be the judge on this one....one day my precious, I'll get a Ullcatch hoodie one day.....)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 am

Well done Stephen, a mighty plaice!!!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:18 pm

The winner of this was Peakle for his report above.

There will also be an overall prize for the Year.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

nice fish lads well done
Topic locked