Tory 7th July

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Tory 7th July

Postby Conor H » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:17 pm

Full report to follow but had to let you hear about a catch on Saturday. My dad (Damien) cast a 1oz leadhead with a 6" firetail worm and on hitting the bottom and beginning his retreive, struck into a small fish. Turned out to be a small angler / monkfish !! A monkfish on a leadhead !!!! Spinning !!
Picture to follow !! For any doubters, Tanglerat came out with us and can verify !!
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Conor H » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:55 pm

Started the trip as usual out of Port Na Blagh . Tanglerat was home on holidays and joined us ... nice to meet you T !!
We headed straight for Tory and took a good supply of Mackerel on board and then started spinning for pollock. Some of the lads put down baited feathers and hokkais. We had a steady stream of 4 - 5 pounders and smaller. Paul Cassin took a couple of bigger fish to about 7 or 8 maybe.
My dad weighed in with the wee Monk then, was great to see, wouldn't fancy getting a nip though !!
We then headed to a sand bank off Tory for a while and got into some decent scrapping coalie and about 4 codling. A few doggies were taken as well, all to baited hokkais , feathers and boom-fished traces. Tanglerat was pirking and got into something well big that snapped him. Unfortunate , but that's the way it goes.
We headed onto Tory for the customary pint, in time to see Armagh get beaten in the All-Ireland quarter final - how glad was I that I wore my jersey !! Not very !! Plenty of stick on the way out - thankfully Mayo did us a favour and beat Tyrone.
Back to fishing - we did a bit more spinning for pollock, ten minutes at the mackerel to get some for the pan , and off home just as the weather turned bad.
A good days craic, and nice to put a face to the name of a fellow forum member. Maybe we'll get out again T, and send me those links if you get the chance.
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tanglerat » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:18 am

Yeah, top class day out. Thanks again for having me along.

finally made it back to London and internet access, so here's my highlights of the day:

Deffo that monkfish. Tiny wee tail, massive head and mouth. Class catch, and nice to see it swim away when released. Can't wait to see it again when it's put on a bit of weight. Say, 50 or 60 pounds!

Another highlight was that wee Fermanagh lad, he could only have been 9 or 10 if that, slagging off a boatload of armagh supporters as he scampered accross The Cricket to his own boat. Nervy wee bugger, I thought!

Your mate beside you (Was it Paul?) played a blinder. Outfished the entire boat and had some lovely sport.

Getting to play with the net so much. I don't usually get to do this, but with nobody aboard knowing my "net one, knock 2 off" rep, it was a blast!

And that take that I had that snapped me clean off. I'd really love to know what that was. The clutch was set right, good leader knot, and BANG! a monstrous bite and then nothing. Gawd knows.

Top day out. Cheers again, see ya next time!
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Conor H » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:54 pm

Paul is a bit of a fishing fanatic - more so than most - has to catch more fish and bigger fish than everyone else, or he wont go home !! Applies to fly fishing, pike fishing etc. Bill (Pat's helper) usually gives him a hard time as he's had bad days recently, but he definitely out fished us all last week.
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

correction

Postby kieran » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:07 pm

Hi

Just a wee correction. The fish in the gallery on page 9 is a small Anglerfish and not a Monkfish as previously reported. This is a very common error and I did not pick up on it myself (mental slap in the mouth with a pollack!). For the record, Monkfish have triangluar fins on the side rather than the odd circular spade like fins clearly evident in the photograph. My thanks to Davy and Sean for the almost instantaneous correction! Nice fish mind and one you may never see come to a boat as long as you stay fishing....

Thanks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Conor H » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Hi Kieran,
Confusion reigns !! Check this out -

http://www.bim.ie/templates/species.asp ... ies_id=171

I always assumed a Monkfish was an Anglerfish , and vice versa. BIM seem to think the same.
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

when is a monkfish not a monkfish... when its an anglerfish!

Postby kieran » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:48 pm

hi Conor

One of the reasons I set up this site was because you could not trust information from the relevant government agencies...

The confusion is widespread especially in the commercial sector. The correct name for what most anglers refer to as monkfish is angel shark. This is what I call a monkfish - and I could be wrong, but I suspect most peopel will agree with that definition. Anglerfish are deliberately trawled for commercially (which is BIM's province) because its tails are sold as "monkfish tails", as would happen with any unfortunate angel shark (if there were any left). The netmen make no distinction between monkfish and anglerfish because the trade will buy them regardless of whether they are "real" monkfish or "fake" monkfish. Real monkfish are endangered as the figures produced by the CFB research unit readily illustrates...

Of course the real irony here is that monkfish became popular in the fish markets originally as a substitute for lobster (as rough sections to mimic the texture were substituted by unscrupulous restaurants and hotels and sold as lobster when it was so expensive). I know this from my many contacts in the trade and in the tourism industry - this happened across Europe not just in Ireland. Now that lobster has become a semi-managed fishery, its future is more secure and the poor dumb substitute is nearing extinction. Anglerfish are probably heading in the same direction because it looks and crucially tastes similar to monkfish.

Confused? So am I!

Bottom line is your dad caught a very rare species.
The hat is (still) off to him...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Conor H » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:42 pm

Yip , confused, but I'll take your word for it. You'd think BIM would know , but then again, who knows exactly who put up the link on the BIM site, and where they got their info from. No matter, as you say, still a good catch by the old man !!

I've had to listen to him rant about it since !!
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports