A small Bay near clifden

Postby Caz-Galway » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Me and a friend

Duration:from 1600 to 1930

Tide:Low at 1700

Weather:light north breeze going to calm

Bait:Frozen mackerel

Rigs:3 hook paternosters and single hooks on a sliding boom

Results:18 lsd's, 14 whiting (best 3/4 lb), 5 coalies (best 1.5lb), 2 thornbacks (best 5lb), 1 mackerel and 3 huss (best 14lb)

Report: Just to show that boat fishing can be very good at this time of the year if you get the right conditions a friend and I ventured out 1/2 a mile into a bay near clifden in a 23 ft boat that I have use of. I have been wanting to try this bay for quite a while as I know that there is the possibility of good whiting which we were really after. It also holds big huss and ray.

We started catching from the off mainly dogs and the odd ray and small huss. As it got dark the whiting came on with the odd coalie. The dogs were a nuisance and were even coming up in the water to take top paternoster hooks after it got dark. I had a huss line out all the time, with a head of a mackerel lip hooked but the dogs were still attacking that!! Towards the end of the session as we were running out of bait I asked my buddy for the head of the fresh mackerel that he had caught earlier. Five minutes later a 14lb huss was in the boat. Nice way to start the fishing year :D

Caz
Caz-Galway
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby glengormley-gavin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Great session there Caz.

Mackeral too..... :lol:

Jude
glengormley-gavin

clifden

Postby hush1 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Fish that area myself...where is that bay near?

More familiar with Cleggean area..high island etc
hush1
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby MAC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am

Excellent fishing Caz.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Caz-Galway » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:48 pm

I am sending you a pm Hush1. A few years ago a friend and I had a great day on a different mark catching more than 30 thornbacks and a variety of other bits and bobs. Word got out and the following week a local fisherman had the area ringed with nets. Ray to market and dogs huss etc destined for pot bait for the local crab and lobster men.

Caz
Caz-Galway
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 41 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports