screeming reels dunmore/tramore At last a break in wx!!

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

screeming reels dunmore/tramore At last a break in wx!!

Postby screeming reels » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:52 am

People:
nevskibb and myself
Duration:
3 hours and 5 hours
Tide:
dropping
Weatherfoggy patches , light to calm winds

Bait:mackeral and lures

Rigs:gilling rigs and feathers

Results:lots of pollock, some codling and whiting 1 porpoise**!!

Report:
At last a chance to get out after a horrible spell of weather, only a short weather window due to the fog on the first day, but was worth the effort. went for broke and headed out to the wrecks of dunmore and tramore.
1st day, arrived at the wreck in fantastic conditions for the time of year, and on the first drift we both hit good sized pollock gilling.
Average fish size was 4-6lbs and the wreck was covered in them.
we tried for ling, but no joy, the drfit was fast considering no wind, but there were big tides.
After a frantic 2 hours we had to head back in,theres nothing like the initial fight of a good sized pollock to get the juices going again! I never tire of that thrill.
2nd trip was similar with plenty of pollock around, a couple to 10lbs, but still no ling.
Amazingly the biggest problem i had was porpoise, so much so that one actually took my gilling lure whilst i was dropping it down to the wreck!!!!!!
At first i though it had snagged the line as there was so many of them around, but no, it started to take line, and then it came up to the surface 30 yards away, and to my astonisment there was the hook and jelly worm in its mouth!!
Needless to say, i was rather lost as to what to do, if i cut the line the braid whould have most likely killed the animal, so i continued to have the fight of a lifetime hoping the hook would part, well after ten exciting minutes ( during which it seemed like every porpoise in the area joined in) the hook did pull free on one of its strong runs, and to my relief the hook was still on the line.
The only deduction i can come up with, as to why this animal took a jelly worm was they must be starving!!, i have fished many times with dolphins and porpoise around the boat, and not once did this ever happen, other than once when one hit the line.
Prehaps with the bait fish being cleaned out ( european community playing a great card by uping the quota's next year!! fantastic conservation). this is why we are seeing so many of these animals so close into shore on a regular basis.
Well, it was great to get out again, i always say if you can put up with the cold, some of the best fishing can be had during the winter time.
Happy Christmas to everyone
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

waterford

Postby barry murphy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:29 pm

nice one always good to get out this time of year some good fishing to be had.hoping to go out in the morning out of dunmore :D :D finaly was busy last few days, their giving wind to pick up if it dose ill be heading up the river at least.
barry
barry murphy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 22 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports