Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:50 pm

People: Me

Duration: 3 Hours

Tide: 18:27pm - 4.2M

Weather: Moderate SW breeze

Bait: Shad, Plugs

Rigs:

Results: 3 Bass

Report: Released all fish. The second, a 6lb fish, bleed a lot with a hook caught deep in the back of the throat. After holding the fish next to the boat for 5 minutes it seemed to revive. To my horror the fish popped up belly up 20 yards downstream. Nothing for it but to up anchor and after netting the fish I held him in the net and motored the boat to get some water flowing over the gills. This seemed to work and the fish did swim away. Just hope the fish did make it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Fair play to you Pat, nice fishing there. That was some effort you put into trying to revive that fish, well done.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks for that Pete. I tend to put most bass back. I can clearly remember the time when they were very scarce and firmly believe that anglers have their part to play.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:04 pm

Well said. As tesco will have us know, every little helps.... :wink:

Bass

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Nice fishing Pat!
The Ferry is an even more valuable resource when the weather's crap!

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 pm

well done.

good on ya for trying to reveive the bass, but looking at the amount of blood he would be lucky to survive..but ya never know. it happens with lures unfortunately

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks Jim. Yes the Ferry can be a very good option in bad weather as it is fishable in all but south easterlies. It can also throw up surprising results. I have had my biggest conger there - a fish of 36lbs. A number of years ago it was also fishing very well for bass. However, a number of unscrupulous anglers took a heavy toll by trolling and retaining all bass caught.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Yes Adam - I agree, it can happen quite a bit with lure caught fish. I might experiment by replacing the trebles with one single hook.

East Ferry

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 pm

Nice fishing. Unfortunately when using plugs, especially those with 3 sets this can occasionally happen. Replacing then with single hooks or removing one set seems to mess up the action of the plug. I allow myself take home a few bass every year and if a fish is badly hooked and is unlikely to survive then they are for the pan. Last year I killed two because of this and this year one.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:26 am

good fishin mate.. nice pics too... is there any decent bass being caught around kilmore, wexford area?