Postby iona » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 pm

People: Nicky + friend + me

Duration: 2-3 hours

Tide: flood

Weather: bloody windy

Bait: sandeel

Rigs: hook

Results: first bass on a free lined sandeel approx 4lb+, plus some smaller ones

Report: invited out to try for a couple of hours at free lining which is a new experience. cracking sport once your connected. once again the irish people come up trumps on hospitality.
Attachments
resized free lined bass 2006..jpg
(142.13 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
why does yer last cast always take an hour?

http://www.freewebs.com/ayrsac/index.htm (update july 2011)
iona
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

bass

Postby lampoon1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Ah! what a place, some tide rip there, well done on the bass its great to get them on the light tackle.
lampoon1

Not naming convention!

Postby kieran » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi Lampoon

Some of us will recognise the place, some will not. If anyone want to know where it is, they can always PM the author. Hope you understand why we have to be careful about publishing the name of bass marks. :wink:

Nice fish BTW, hope to be down there in a month or so...
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby lampoon1 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:51 pm

Kieran sorry for putting up the name of other peoples bass marks.
i suppose other people are more secretive about there marks than i am myself, i have no problem giving away my own marks because i want other people to enjoy good fishing and i mistakenly thaught that was the purpose of this and other foums. i have only come back to the forum after some time abroad so havnt been out thats wHy i havnt posted any reports if your wondering.

i understand people dont want poachers gaining information on forums, but in my opinion this is a bit silly as any poacher knows his local areas for bass and when these bass are present twice as well as us anglers because he does it for a living its his job to know these things, take a guide for example that chap cortaz and he guides for a living, knows exactly when bass are on certain spots and in what numbers, he knows his marks so well he rarely fails to catch and i know most of his bass are released which is a brilliant, but my point is if this chap can gain such info on certain areas you can bet poachers along the coast already have the same if not better info accumalated on there specific areas so in my opinion people are kidding themselves worrying about the threat of poachers gaining info here.

most people have copped on to catch and release as far as bass are concerned so thats why i have no problem with other people enjoying a bit of good fishing on the same marks that i fish.
again it was fairly stupid of my to think that everybody is as open about marks as i wil be.
lampoon1

Whats the Point of this Forum???????

Postby SIMPO » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 pm

I agree with you 10000000000%. I thought the point to this forum is to celebrate the catch of a good fish by telling fellow fishermen of your result. How you caught it, when and more importantly WHERE.

I posted a days fishing results for a mark outside Ardglass.... and what i didnt get for telling fellow forum members of where it was....was unreal...pathetic if you ask me.

Of course im going to get the backlash of all anglers who disagree with me stating that its for the preservation of the fish and the litter that those anglers leave behind etc etc etc....... Of course the deminishing fish stocks have to be address, but if we are properly schooling all anglers in catch and release and taking the odd fish home WHATS THE PROBLEM... there is far bigger concerns out there other than telling someone where you caught a fish...like gill netters......

COMEON GUYS SPREAD THE WORD.....WHERE DID YOU CATCH THE FISH...
TIGHT LINES
SIMPO
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby kieran » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi lads

Sorry, point of clarification required, my fault... :oops:

I have no problem with sharing marks with people but I think it should be left to the individual angler to decide whether they want to do that or not - especially in the case of bass where there can be very and I mean very very localised populations.

A lot of anglers have expressed the opinion, that when it comes to bass marks, they will pass on the information only when they are certain that the recipient is someone who will not abuse that information...

You are absolutely right! I am all in favour of sharing information - as you say, that is the whole point of the forums. :lol: The more the merrier... but I guess a lot of recent posts and PMs have pushed me to thinking that people are entitled to keep their marks to themselves if they feel they should, especially for bass.

As we all know, if a mark get fished out whether by netsmen, poachers or even anglers, and I know umpteen places where this has happened, it can take decades for the bass population to recover...

Your absolutely right about the poachers, all the same I would hate to think that we were helping even one of them!

The point I was trying to make was that we shoudl respect the wishes of the poster, and if they choose not to identify a mark, then we should leave it so. If you know it, well and good. If not, PM the author! :lol:

Thanks, I hope this explains my earlier post. Tight lines all
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports