Bait:

Rigs:FEATHERS

Results:MACK ,POLLOCK ,COD ,GUARD FISH THE RED ONES

Report:

TWO BOXS OF MARK ALL THE OTHER FISH WERE SMALL
WONDER I CAUGHT A BABY COD BUT WERE THE HELL IS THE BIG ONES?D

strangford

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 am

what in gods name do you need two boxes of mackeral for?
where in the lough were you fishing?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:19 am

Were you selling the mackerel?? :? What the hell is a guard fish??? :? :?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:08 pm

red gurnard do you mean?
perhaps the mackerel were to stock up for bait for the winter etc between a few people, this cant be knocked surely??? :?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:24 pm

this cant be knocked surely???

If you cant keep some mackerel for bait where the hell is the future of this sport heading :?:

I will go through a box of mackerel, minimum, over the winter.
Better to catch your own than buy in the shops considering the amount of by-catch the netters catch.

Just my thoughts

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Yup i have a couple dozen frozen mac fillets in the freezer and intend to get more for winter fishing sessions etc.. It's not like they're a fish low in numbers or anything.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 pm

now now lads not telling were in the lough RAY .
didnt mean to caught the boxs of mack of course i need them for sport fishing in the winter and eating them to and give a few to my friends ect :D :D IT SAVES ME FOR BUYING THEM IN THE FISHING SHOP why buy them why you can catch them ?

strangford

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:08 pm

ok! to keep two boxes of mackerel MIGHT be ok if you do it once a season but is this the case? i get sick of seeing boxes/bags/buckets of mackerel carted of boats day in day out i am sure that most of these end up dumped. i certainly would not eat a fish that i froze 6months earlier and i would doubt their suitability as bait also, there will be mackerel in the lough for two- three months yet so what is the hurry?

dispite my post in the shore section i can usually get all the mackerel i need any time i need them its just that on the ocaision i was writting about i was not at a spot that i would usually even consider fishing at!

there are loads of mackerel in the lough its just that i would sort of like to keep it like that :lol:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:48 pm

fair play for ur interest in conservation of fish but i honestly don't think that it could be possible to lower stocks of mackerel significantely by rod and line!!! and also mackerel r fine for bait 6 months later as long as they r frozen on the day of catch. i have more concern on people who won't try pollock or coalie as a substitute for cod and force the commercial angler to fish the one species out!!! for the record pollock and coalies r a lovely substitute for cod!

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:06 pm

I dont see anything wrong in keeping that amount of mackeral as long as there going to be used. Its very easy to get rid of mackeral between giving some to friends and keeping them for bait during the year.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:14 pm

years ago you catch cod now there not much around i all ways catch the fish and let them go again :D

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Liam how did you manage to go fishing in 07 unless you have a delorean car and white frizzy hair like in Back to the future :lol: :lol: :wink:

Andy

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm

easy off work and off sat down at your area sweet fa wont be going back i think its fishs out.
olock going to go there maybe at night cause of the heat :D

stangford

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:51 am

RAB01 pollack are a fine eating fish but coalfish i would not even give them to the cat! i tried for years to make them edible with no sucess, they have now joined conger/wrasse on the list of inedible fish.

well spotted 07

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 pm

Andydee
well spotted on the 07 you must be bored wouldnt a delorean be handy though :lol: :lol: :lol: to see what the future for mack bashing holds

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:49 pm

tink your looking too much into the effect of keeping 2 boxes of mackeral. this isnt going to have a significant impact on mackeral stocks when palegic trawlers are landing 40 tonnes of them in castletownbare, ive seen with my own eyes

mackerel

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:25 pm

forty tonnes landed at castletownbere has little impact on strangford lough! but if every small boat on strangford took two boxes every time they went out the effect would soon be felt

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 am

I don't to come across as being pushy but I think I'd agree with Ray on the principal that takin two fish boxes of any fish is a bit over the top. With mackerel numbers being huge and belonging to large wide ranging population groups it might not make a dent in the overall stocks but its a case of the principal.

I don't bring fish boxes out on my boat, a bucket more than suffices for what gets knocked on the head for food or bait.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:20 pm

i have read peoples fishing reports and they said they have caught 40 to 100 mackeral i see no problem of getting 2 box of them so whats the big deal of caught them on shore in large of amount if you were to caught two boxs on the shore if there was two people or more doing it .

its the trawers that are putting the fish stock at risk not peope fishing with fishing rods .

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:20 pm

i have read peoples fishing reports and they said they have caught 40 to 100 mackeral i see no problem of getting 2 box of them so whats the big deal of caught them on shore in large of amount if you were to caught two boxs on the shore if there was two people or more doing it .

its the trawers that are putting the fish stock at risk not peope fishing with fishing rods .