Tigger II, Cork Harbour, 01/07/06

Postby thescotsman » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:35 am

People: Me, John Andrew

Duration: 6 hours (1800-2400)

Tide: low -> high

Weather: light breeze to beautiful calm

Bait: launce, mackerel, feathers, hokkais, toby spinner

Rigs: bait on 6' flowing traces from boom

Results: John Dory!!, mackerel, pollack, cod, launce, dogfish, coalfish, gurnard, whiting

Report: After watching the wind Saturday afternoon, and getting some work out of the way headed out in the evening for a spot of fish catching. The usual suspects caught early on as we drifted over harbour rock and down the channels. Did a long drift back down the harbour and ended up off Carlisle close in to the rocks where we got into some bigger pollack and cod. Imagine my surprise when John pulled a John Dory into the boat. He caught it on feathers in about 3-4m of water, 15m off shore. Wouldn't mind, but he hardly ever goes sea fishing and that would have been a great addition to my species list - 2 feet away from my first new species of the year....... :twisted: (photo to follow when he gets it off his camera)
Fished there for a while longer (desperation), but only pollack. Headed off buoy 6 for some rays, but nothing doing there. Finished up back off Carlisle spinning for pollack in the half light. Good craic and biggest pollack of 8.5lbs tested the small spinning rod I was using. Would have stayed all night, it was so nice, but my wife might have been onto the coastguards (or a private dective). So we were back in just before midnight.
Attachments
PICT0123.JPG
John D meets John A
PICT0123.JPG (50.94 KiB) Viewed 392 times
PICT0122.JPG
John Dory
PICT0122.JPG (60.73 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Last edited by thescotsman on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby petekd » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:51 am

Good stuff scotsman, I was fishing a shore mark v close to Camden the other day with phanover, driven demented by a fish jumping out of the water about 20 yards off the shore about the 5lb mark, bass or sea-trout I presume. John Dory eh..... Nice one, always the same though, take out a beginner and what do they do... :x
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

correction

Postby thescotsman » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Sorry, meant Carlisle not Camden in the above report (always say Camden when I mean Carlisle - only noticed when petekd said he was fishing off it - wouldn't fancy getting round down from Carlisle!) - fixed it now anyway. Thanks for the reply Petekd...I know what you mean about the jumping fish. Had similar experiences myself, drives you insane. You never seem to catch them if you can see them like that.
thescotsman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby petekd » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:43 pm

:D Confusion.....! Its even more annoying when it looks as if you landed the plug on the fishes back and he was jumping up in fright....
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports