Lady Patricia, Courtmacsherry, 17/18 June 2006

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Lady Patricia, Courtmacsherry, 17/18 June 2006

Postby petekd » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:28 pm

People:Myself, getthecreelsin, phanover, Neville, Colm, the 2 johnnies and another whose name escapes me.....apologies!

Duration:All day Saturday, 3 hours on Sunday

Tide:Various

Weather:Glorious on Saturday, rosy cheeks and foreheads all round, horrible then on Sunday :x

Bait:Mackerel/Squid

Rigs:Various.

Results:Cod, Ling, Pollack, Coalfish, Conger, Huss, Mackerel, Launce, poor cod.

Report:Myself and phanover joined with a trip organised by getthecreelsin aboard Mark Gannons boat from Courtmac. Due to a latish start we were unable to head to the further wrecks and so concentrated on the nearer ones on what was a glorious day with the sun splitting the stones. After the obligatory mackerel stop (well several stops as they were proving to be quite elusive!) we arrived at the first wreck, a variety of rigs from big baited running legers to pirks, shads and baited hokkais were lowered over the side. Graeme was first into a fish with a nice pollack on the shad. For the rest of us it was all about Ling, Johnny pulling a nice fish in of 10 1/2lbs, I followed that with a smaller one of 6 3/4lb, fishing was slow and it was a while befor another hook up with myself and phanover landing 2 ling around the same time. After a couple more fish we headed off to another wreck which despite several different approaches and drifts failed to produce a single fish :shock:

We headed off to a reef mark to round the afternoon off and anchored up, dropping large baits down in pursuit of congers. Lads using baited hokkais caught launce, coalies and small ling, big baits saw several conger being landed along with a couple of Bull Huss also. I rounded off the day with a nice conger well into double figures and we headed home to port.

Following a rather late night and copious quantities of alcohol there were only 5 of us appearing, rather quietly and gingerly it has to be said, for the Sunday trip. Irish summers being what they are, the weather had taken a nasty turn overnight and had turned windy and wet. On the steam out, it was abundantly obvious that our fishing was going to be severely restricted with some very lumpy seas and a combo of wind against tide making for some nasty drifts. Only fish of any note was a pollack I took on a leadheaded jelly on the spinning gear which was great fun trying to play with all the pitching and rolling going on.... :D

We moved inshore and tried a few drifts along some rocky coastline, several codling came aboard along with a coalfish or two and more pollack. With the rain driving down, the boat pitching about all over, the fishing being slack and the winds increasing it was decided that the day should be cut short and we headed back to port around 1.00 or so. A disappointing day, we could have stayed out but the general concensus was that we were flogging a dead horse so that was the end of that.

A good weekends crack all the same, despite the fairly slow fishing. Many thanks to Graeme for organising the trip and letting myself and Paul tag along, thoroughly enjoyed it. :D :D :D

I did manage to claim 3 personal bests on the trip with my best conger, ling and huss to date so v happy with that. :D
Attachments
album_pic.jpg
Me with conger..... Not huge I know but still a PB for me.
album_pic.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Last edited by petekd on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby phanover » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Pete,

Good report (as always).

Looks like I made the right call by not going on the Sunday. Great day out all the same. My thanks to Graham and yourself for organising it.

I've uploaded the pic of the conger into my gallery.

Paul
phanover
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby petekd » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:47 pm

Thanks Paul :D Oh king of the mack bashers.... :D Every other soul was struggling to get singles and doubles and Paul the fecker kept pulling strings of 6..... Every boat should have one... :lol:
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby phanover » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:49 pm

King of the mack bashers? :? I've been called worse I suppose! :lol:

"King of Ling" has a better ring to it, but I guess I'll have to work a bit harder to earn that title. :wink:

Paul
phanover
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby petekd » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Not forgetting the King of Bling title that was nearly bestowed on you with those christmas tree flattie rigs you had during the winter... :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports