Switch to full style
OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing
Topic locked

2017 continues...

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi lads and lassies,

I thought I'd start a new thread because it's no-longer the first trip of 2017.

Went out for a spin yesterday just for fun, no real pressure to catch or go far.

As I'm sure many of you will agree, sometimes these days are great because you usually catch a few anyway and you come in before getting the "sea madness": Trying to fillet fish, stow gear, clean the boat and drive home like a kind of bleary-eyed zombie. You had a great day, but now you'll need 2 just to feel human again!

So after an easy launch we set off from the easterly side of Cork harbour by about 10am. Pretty late by my usual standards but the lie in was lovely! The weather was fine, some light cloud cover but good visibility and a light south easterly just making a slight ripple on the slip where we launched.

I was brining out a friend who hadn't spent much time in small boats so I was mindful not to push things too far and make sure that the trip was enjoyable and not entirely fish focused. As luck would have it there were four species of birds gathered on the slip as we arrived so I produced my new bird book (a Christmas present from my sister) and we identified a curlew, 3 oyster catchers, a few kittywakes and some duck type species that were too shy to give us a clear view.

Heading out past the power station and around the oil refinery jetty the chop picked up just a little and a slight swell began to build as we approached the area known as "the Sound" between fort Camden and fort Carlisle (also known as fort Davis). As we reached harbour rock the chop got bigger and, mixed with the swell it wasn't the most comfortable of fishing conditions. Easterly winds generally don't make for nice seas around Cork! I had thought we might make it over to the shelter of Power head or maybe as far as the Smith's but that would have meant taking a beating on the way over so we called it and did a few drifts over the rock instead.

Using silvery feathers and jelly worms we hit one or two small pollock on the first drift and over the course of 3 or four more drifts a few take home size cod and a fair few smallies that lived to swim another day! Not a major haul but the takes were aggressive and it's the first time in about six weeks I've seen any cod near the harbour, so it bodes well for the next few trips.

We anchored in the shelter of White bay for lunch and to boil a kettle (nothing like a fresh cup of tea!) and given the little bit of quesyness my first mate was feeling I suggested a spin up to Monkstown for a bit of a change and some flat water might be a good option. It proved a nice spin with a handy toilet break in the local bar. We did a drift or two in the channel but with nothing but pin whiting around it wasn't worth staying - I hate hurting the little guys and once they're there it's unavoidable.

So after a quick spin up to east Ferry for a spot of sightseeing we trailered the boat and were on the road home by 5, with a few cod fillets for tea. Feeling, well... Not exhausted!

Anyone else get out recently....?

Tight lines!

C

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Re: 2017 continues...

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 pm

ninted wrote:Hi lads and lassies,

I thought I'd start a new thread because it's no-longer the first trip of 2017.

Went out for a spin yesterday just for fun, no real pressure to catch or go far.

As I'm sure many of you will agree, sometimes these days are great because you usually catch a few anyway and you come in before getting the "sea madness": Trying to fillet fish, stow gear, clean the boat and drive home like a kind of bleary-eyed zombie. You had a great day, but now you'll need 2 just to feel human again!

So after an easy launch we set off from the easterly side of Cork harbour by about 10am. Pretty late by my usual standards but the lie in was lovely! The weather was fine, some light cloud cover but good visibility and a light south easterly just making a slight ripple on the slip where we launched.

I was brining out a friend who hadn't spent much time in small boats so I was mindful not to push things too far and make sure that the trip was enjoyable and not entirely fish focused. As luck would have it there were four species of birds gathered on the slip as we arrived so I produced my new bird book (a Christmas present from my sister) and we identified a curlew, 3 oyster catchers, a few kittywakes and some duck type species that were too shy to give us a clear view.

Heading out past the power station and around the oil refinery jetty the chop picked up just a little and a slight swell began to build as we approached the area known as "the Sound" between fort Camden and fort Carlisle (also known as fort Davis). As we reached harbour rock the chop got bigger and, mixed with the swell it wasn't the most comfortable of fishing conditions. Easterly winds generally don't make for nice seas around Cork! I had thought we might make it over to the shelter of Power head or maybe as far as the Smith's but that would have meant taking a beating on the way over so we called it and did a few drifts over the rock instead.

Using silvery feathers and jelly worms we hit one or two small pollock on the first drift and over the course of 3 or four more drifts a few take home size cod and a fair few smallies that lived to swim another day! Not a major haul but the takes were aggressive and it's the first time in about six weeks I've seen any cod near the harbour, so it bodes well for the next few trips.

We anchored in the shelter of White bay for lunch and to boil a kettle (nothing like a fresh cup of tea!) and given the little bit of quesyness my first mate was feeling I suggested a spin up to Monkstown for a bit of a change and some flat water might be a good option. It proved a nice spin with a handy toilet break in the local bar. We did a drift or two in the channel but with nothing but pin whiting around it wasn't worth staying - I hate hurting the little guys and once they're there it's unavoidable.

So after a quick spin up to east Ferry for a spot of sightseeing we trailered the boat and were on the road home by 5, with a few cod fillets for tea. Feeling, well... Not exhausted!

Anyone else get out recently....?

Tight lines!

C

Caught this little lad on harbour rock on a jelly worm, he did his best to spray us with water jets and ink but went back fully intact if a little annoyed!

Attachments
IMAG0167.jpg
Topic locked