One mad day of fishing Loop Head

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

One mad day of fishing Loop Head

Postby mann » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 am

I took a crew from 'The men's Shed' thingy last week and it was like an open air asylum, they were stone mad I haven't laught so much in a long time,

it really was like the day out in the film 'The cuckoo's nest' the funniest part was when all four landed fish in the boat at the same time.. my mate Dulittle had the job of unhooking all the fish and was getting battered from all sides, I was laughing so much I forgot to film that part,

there's another video taken a few days before called 'Dawn at Carrigaholt' Fishing wasn't as good that day but I accidently left the camera in slow mo which worked out fine when the Dolphins came around the boat,

they only got 7 or 8 Pollock that day but the lads reckoned it was the best day they ever had on the water,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NL2rXABFetQ

For this message the author mann has received thanks:
krisreid (Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:48 pm)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Re: One mad day of fishing Loop Head

Postby hugo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Good video of a fun day out :D What's your boat these days? Looks the biz.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby JimC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Looks great Mike!
Are you running a charter operation up there?
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby mann » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Hugo,

Seems like forever since I put up a report, She’s a 26ft Fastworker that makes a great fishing platform, she handles a bit of rough water good enough as I found out last week,

Hi Jim

Its been great for the past 2 weeks, this is a club boat that belongs to the community so we kinda all have a share in her,

They have had it over 3 years just using it mainly for very rare river trips, Last year as far as I know it was used less than a dozen times,

So a couple of months back I proposed it to be taken down to the Carrigaholt area for Tope Tagging and trips out for anybody that wants to Tag / fish or just watch the Dolphins at play, a month later they came back to me to say take her and do what you want with her and at the end of the expedition they will look at how things went,

I said cool.. How long have I got her for, they replied ‘As long as you want’.

So I have to prove to them before the season ends that this idea is a much better option then having her tied up in limerick,

They not only gave her over to me but they also paid €400 extra on the insurance to cover me AND gave me €100 AND 40 litres of fuel to send me on my way :D

The whole objective since they’ve had this boat was to take people that couldn’t normally afford a trip on say a charter boat out for a few hours to give them an interest in the boating scene or just a day to themselves,

In between these trips I can do what I want as in fishing or just tripping around… Take this Wednesday for instance The weather looks good for Tope on the estuary and no crew has booked up… ITS FREE AND NOONE HAS ASKED FOR A TRIP :o :shock:

Its only just kicking off now so word is getting around, I took four groups out and everyone of them want another trip but I don’t want the same heads on the list until I get as many newcomers as possible,

Another good thing is they gave me authority to enrol members as I see fit… Get my meaning :)

JOHN1 (Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:54 am)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:32 pm

That's unreal!
I know of lots of lads "just taking up the sport".... They all have the best of gear though :wink: :D :D
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby mann » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:13 am

Unreal it is Jim,

I had only planed to get it for a week or so to see how it worked out, After the meeting they told me that a month or so before I offered to do this they were thinking of selling her and putting the money into another project due to the fact that she wasn’t getting used as she should / could be,

And to think I had this idea in my head for possibly 2 years, they said what swung the odds in my favour was the fact that when they couldn’t find anybody mad enough to bring a 60ft Barge down from Tullamore Via the Canal then Lough Derg and into Limerick without taking a few bridges with them… I jumped at the opportunity and didn’t knock a bit of rust off her along the way,

If it carries on in the way it started 2 weeks ago this could be a yearly thing for the boat, I set a crew number of six for comfort and safety, those who can chip in for diesel, 60lt of green took us around Loop Head to the Bridges of Ross for a few hours fishing then on the way back we chassed the Dolphins for an hour or so,

I have marks going back 30 year or so that I got from a chap that’s no longer with us RIP, and a few I found myself, so its not a hit and miss type trip,
I gave the first 2 marks a 20 minute bash which resulted in a Wrasse at the first and 3 Pollock at the second then Bingo mark 3 paid off handsomely.. There was feathers and all sorts used and not one mackerel showed so I’m thinking of fishing off the rocks for a few hours at Ross or the castle to get bait for the Tope session on Wednesday… I should get a few but if not I will still take the boat out for Pollock, it’s a kinda win win situation,

Did I mention I still have no crew for Wednesday ? :)

JOHN1 (Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:54 am)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 am

Some story Mann! Worth a little TV programme.....
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby mann » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:20 am

Good morning Hugo,

I suppose I did go on a bit but I just wanted to get across the whole idea of whats behind this non profit project,
99.9% of people I spoke to about this project are behind me all the way, Like the day before I took the boat down the Estuary I went to Johnny Doc’s for some tackle bits and bobs… he had already heard about the trip and gave me about a 50% Discount,
While we chatted and I drank his coffee I was sitting on one of his air sprung high stools.. I just mention 'As I bounced up and down' that there was no seat in the wheelhouse and it was uncomfortable on long journeys because you had to lean onto the wheel when the bow started to rise,

To cut a long story short I walked out of his shop with a fat bag of gear and the stool under my arm… he said I had a beggars face… as I loaded it into the van I got to feeling that I just mugged someone. The stool works great when the bow hit’s a wave the seat sinks down cushioning the impact,

I’m off in a bit to spend as long as it takes to try get a few mackerel for tomorrow’s Tope chase,

DID I MENTION I STILL HAVE NO CREW FOR TOMORROW :roll:

JOHN1 (Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:55 am)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:25 pm

The story gets better! I wasnt being cheeky, I seriously think you done great, and that it would make a great little TV item on, say, Nationwide. Wish we had some of that community spirit up this way.....
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby mann » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm

The thought never interred my mind Hugo…. But now that you mentioned it,

Only kidding :) I think I said before that this was a local thing until I got involved, now its there for everyone that wants / needs a day out,

Even media celebrities are more than welcome… even if they do come from Cork Jim.. :oops: did I just say Jim

All that’s needed is for anyone that wants a trip is for them to become an associate member which I will make as painless as possible,

So get your finger out lads before I take her home, Got my bait for tomorrow in the cooler, went to Dunlicky Cliffs and before setting up I asked a local fella how he was doing, he said he got 3 just before I arrived, I said that’s promising.. He replied I don’t think so as I been here over 4 hours with only 3 fish to show for it,

On my second cast I got 4, wish my camera was rolling to catch the look on his face, I got 8 in just over an hour and he still had his 3, I needed them more than he :D

So when are you Popping over for a bash on the west coast Hugo ?
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Eh... I'm already on the west coast, Mann, just the wrong bit of it weatherwise (Mayo).... :D
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby mann » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 pm

:oops: Soz's Hugo

I always thought you were around the Wexford / Waterford area, I fished that area in comps and while its nice and calm compared to the west I really couldn't take to it... that's why I was feeling sorry for you and felt I had to invite u over for some real fishing... just getting ready to be blasted from the eastside posse :lol:
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 am

Cheers for that. Yes, we did live in West Waterford at one time, but moved up to North Mayo a good few years back. If conditions dont settle properly up here fairly soon, i might very well be heading south again...
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports