Apollo goes to Kerry Episode II

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Day 2 Monday, a solo run with the plan of adding one specific species for the 2015 fish list.
A couple of stops on the way out for mackerel all turned up with blanks. :evil: It’s always a bad sign when the gannets start following you. :lol: :lol:
First drop and a pollack before it hit the bottom, doom didn’t need them. Well what would you expect to catch while fishing over a reef? So after a few pollack and ling I moved to another corner of the reef and up they came, a couple of bluemouth. :D :D :D One of the nice things about them is once released they head back down unruffled by the experience. Got what I needed a specimen bluemouth weighed on shore at 0.92kg.

To add to the day I had a minke whale who kept surfacing around the boat for about an hour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Apollo goes to Kerry Episode II

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 am

Lovely stuff! Well done.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 am

Great pictures Donal! Good Effort!!

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Nice result getting the target species, what sort of depth were you fishing, I was under the impression they were a real deep water species? Great seeing the minke whale too, I've seen them a couple of times but found them to be quite boat-shy, maybe it's just my boat!

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:33 pm

johnwest wrote:Nice result getting the target species, what sort of depth were you fishing, I was under the impression they were a real deep water species? Great seeing the minke whale too, I've seen them a couple of times but found them to be quite boat-shy, maybe it's just my boat!

Fishing a reef in 330ft of water, the bluemouth were on top of the reef in about 180/200 foot of water. had a total of 8.
The minke got too close to the boat for comfort and at one stage breached about 40 feet away

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:26 am

Great results Donal very well done on the specimen 8) I believe they make great eating. Two years ago we had a minke for company about 12 mile off dublin that decided to rub itself off the anchor rope a few times very strange when your bow starts nodding down with whale power, a fantastic experience all the same. :D

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:18 pm

JOHN1 wrote:Great results Donal very well done on the specimen 8) I believe they make great eating.

Some say they taste the same as specimen pouting :P sweeeeeeeet :lol: :lol: :lol: