Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:02 pm

People: 5 fisherman and the skipper

Duration: a couple of hours

Tide: either side of high water

Weather: mixed

Bait: feathers, pirks and soft plastics

Results: coley and pollack

Report:

An impromptu session saw 5 of us quickly grabbing a handful of rods and racing around the coast to Ballycastle. We boarded a boat to try the fishing off Bull Point on the west end of Rathlin Island.
The other lads came equipped with basic fishing rigs that consisted of feathers and pirks and as a result they struggled to get past the endless numbers of coley. I on the other hand was lucky enough to have taken a nice little spinning rod set-up with a few soft plastics, it made the difference.. The hooks on the soft plastics (sidewinder and black minnow) were too big for the coley and were thus successful in deterring their efforts in trying to get caught; instead, i was enjoying taking some very decent pollack 8)
All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable wee trip - it was nice be on the water, to fish a place that I had never been to, and to just appreciate the beauty of that part of the Island. The sea was relatively calm, there were stunning cliffs towering over us, endless caves, and plenty of wildlife on show - loads of guillemots and razorbills, occasional puffins, and the odd gannet.
We stepped back onshore just as the heavens opened, the fork lightning came out in force and the country flooded - good timing!
best fish 7lb
a few pics below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuckaroo on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rathlin Island Pollack 8/6/14

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 am

The grins say it all Charlie- some nice pollock there 8) 8) Looks a nice spot from the backdrop in the photos.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 am

Some great pollock there! Well done

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am

Nice few hours fishing fair play. :-)

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Nice report, some nice Pollock there.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Great photos, nice to get a decent pollack on the light lure set up, well done.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

thanks for the comments lads, appreciated
makes the effort (in putting the report up) worth it
Last edited by chuckaroo on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Nice polock fair play

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:30 am

I have just seen your report this morning Chuckaroo, some very decent Pollack there. Great backdrop too.