Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 pm

People: Me, Neville, Scott & Leon in the morning, Me & Moody Marlin PM

Duration: All day

Tide:

Weather: Generally good, Southerly breeze

Bait: Mackerel & Crab

Rigs:

Results: Tope, Smoothound, Thornbacks, Bull Huss, Lsd

Report: I picked Neville and his 2 sons Scott & Leon up at 9am and headed straight to the mark that's served us well this year. Neville and his 2 boys had caught some Smoothies with me last summer, but I hoped to put them on something bigger this time. We started slowly, but Neville & Scott managed to catch a couple of Huss, and with about 40 minutes left to go, I could see young Leon getting a little despondent. Then all of a sudden his rod buckled over. I got great amusement watching him getting pulled all over the boat, but he kept a cool head and after a spirited fight we got his fish in the boat, a male Tope in the 20s. He followed that up about 15 minutes later with another one of about the same size. The grin on his face said it all.
I dropped them back to the pier and picked up MM at about midday. Needless to say we headed straight for the same mark. We were barely taught on the anchor when we started catching again. As well as more Tope, we had Smoothound to 6lbs, Thornback Ray (x3) to 8lbs and Bull Huss to 13lbs. It was Moody who continued his recent hot streak, by catching the 2 biggest fish of the day. Both fat females, the 1st of which I reckoned was over 40lbs, with the Length x girth formula putting her at 44lbs, and the 2nd fish, which felt every ounce of 50lbs, measured 157cm L and 68cm G. The formula would put her at 55lbs. I'm starting to get fed up taking photos of MM with fish, so I'm hoping his hot streak ends soon. For the record, half the Tope on Saturday were caught on wire traces, and half were caught on mono. The experiment continues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cahore, 31st May 2014

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Yeah was a great day, two PB's in one day ain't bad going. Because it was such a good day myself and Smack headed out again on Monday and boated 15 tope all in the mid 20's range and missed two runs. Brilliant weekend all round. :-)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:13 am

"I'm starting to get fed up taking photos of MM with fish, so I'm hoping his hot streak ends soon."

Dont stop! Brilliant pix and great report - keep 'em coming!

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks Hugo, it was said slightly tongue in cheek. I am conscious that we might be carpet bombing the boat catch reports forum with Cahore reports though. I think I'll give it a rest for a bit, unless we catch something exceptional.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:03 pm

WOW what a trip, what a lot of shark!
hoping to get my first tope over the coming weeks, would be gald with any one of these tope here
well done
nice report 8)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Rob Millard wrote: I think I'll give it a rest for a bit, unless we catch something exceptional.

Compared to what we're (not) getting up here at the moment, your catches are exceptional....

Got the humour of your MM comments ok, but the response is serious: keep posting please, and well done!

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Some fishing !

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:42 am

Good man Alex cracking tope, I really need to get a fishing hat like that :)