Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 am

People:Me and my uncle

Duration: 9.30am to 6.30pm

Tide: Low at 12.27pm

Weather: Sunshine, cool breeze in the evening

Bait: Mack and rag

Rigs: Jig heads, running ledgers and 3 hook flappers

Results: Pollack, coalies, codling, dab, whiting, ballans

Report: Headed out of the harbour into a bit of a swell at about 9.30. Nothing too uncomfortable but a bit more lumpy than i had expected. We arrived on the mark and set up lure rods with heavy jig heads. I was using a savagegear sand eel and first drop i got hit by a good fish. It was heading for the reef and there wasn't much i could do to stop it with my little shimano exage reel but he turned after a good run and i gained some line back and it went on like this till i got him to the net. 6lb 9 on the scales so not a bad start. We had a steady stream of pollack in around the 4lb mark with coalies to about 2.5. The fishing died off over low water so we anchored and tried for congers, i hooked a dog but lost it at the boat and my uncle brought in a few decent wrasse on rag. I tried for wrasse but i couldn't get to them through the smaller pollack. We had no luck with the conger so we decided to try a few more drifts before we made out way back home. First drift again i hit another good fish. This one took a small yellow and green shad. This one weighed in at just under 7lb. On the last drift of the day I hooked into something better again. It took me a long time to get it moving up in the water and when it did start to move, it wasn't happy about it and so headed back to the reef. This fish was different than the others though as he wasn't making panicked quick runs and then coming up tired out. He was taking his time and just powering off towards the bottom. There really was nothing i could do but wait it out and hope it didn't reach the kelp. Ten minutes in, arms aching i started to see a bit of color and called for the net, which broke under the weight when i did get him to the surface. But we got the fish in safe and that's all that matters. We steamed back in and drifted the harbour for flats to use up what was left of the rag. We were hoping for a few dab and caught 6 or 7 with a few small codling and whiting thrown in to mix things up. Absolutely savage day out there and I'm depressed out of my head now looking out the window in work at another sunny day. But I have to make a few bob to replace the lures and landing net for next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Fair Game, Cork, 28/05/2014

Thu May 29, 2014 10:55 am

Few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Nice day out for ye. What weight was the one which broke the net?

Cathal

Thu May 29, 2014 5:54 pm

The biggest one that broke the net was 9lb 7oz

Species 2014. Whiting, codling, pouting, poor cod, coalie, pollack, Ballan wrasse,

Thu May 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Excellent nice fishing man.

Thu May 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Great stuff.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:10 am

Great fish lads, what type of boat are you on?

Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm

CiaranMcFish wrote:Great fish lads, what type of boat are you on?

Quicksilver 470

Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Nice report and sweet fishing:-D

Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Brilliant report, and looks like ye had a savage days fishing. Fair play. :-)