tope2014.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 778 times
[attachment=0]People: Me & Moody Marlin

Duration: 7pm - 9pm

Tide: end of ebb

Weather: perfect

Bait: Mack

Rigs:

Results: Tope & Doggies

Report: Another late start to the Cahore season this year, thanks to unfavorable weather for the last few weeks. We launched this evening and made a beeline for one of my favourite Tope marks. Weather & tide were perfect, and we had to wait only about 15 minutes for the 1st run. Moody landed a male in the mid twenties. He went on to land another 2 in the mid/late twenties and 1 in the mid teens. Yours truly managed just a few dogs. Now here's the thing, Moody was using a heavy mono trace straight through, and I was using my tried & trusty mono rubbing leader with short steel trace. I've witnessed more than a few tope lost on mono traces over the years, and I have always caught lots of Tope on steel traces. There's been days when tope have been swimming just below the boat and I've literally fed a bait to them on a steel trace and they don't seem at all bothered by it. They are not a shy fish and do not easily spook. So, was this evening just one of those days, or do people think that mono traces outfish steel? I'm not going to draw conclusions based on a 2hour session, but I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions. To add insult to injury, my engine overheated on the return journey and we only just managed to limp home. Boat ownership's a pain in the ass.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks: 3
Fish magnet (Thu May 22, 2014 1:54 am), JOHN1 (Thu May 22, 2014 6:12 pm), Moody Marlin (Thu May 22, 2014 6:44 am)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Cahore 21st May 2014

Postby Fish magnet » Thu May 22, 2014 1:58 am

Thats a fine Tope Rob. I had a 200lb mono trace bitten through about 10 years ago and only use wire now with VMC circle hooks. Wire doesn't put them off and infact may attract them. Wire snoods on Ray traces seem to work well too.

For this message the author Fish magnet has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm)
Fish magnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby jw » Thu May 22, 2014 12:10 pm

the most widely used trace for tope in the shannon estuary is 30" of 100lb wire,
(seven strand nylon covered)
astronomical numbers of tope have been landed on this over the years, i cant
see how it could be spooking fish.
sometimes on a charter boat one rod gets all the tope, often not the one
at the center of the stern, maybe the tope sometimes swim on a fixed
path across the tide for some reason?

For this message the author jw has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Thu May 22, 2014 12:59 pm)
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Moody Marlin » Thu May 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Well, I'm going to stick with the method that put fish on the deck for me last nite. But only time will tell! I could loose the 'big one' due to my choose of terminal tackle.
Species 2015: Long Spined Sea Scorpion, LSD, Poor Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Corkwing Wrasse, Tompot Blenny, Thornie, Tope, Dab, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Pouting, Herring, Coalie, Rock Goby, Mackerel, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ling, Cod, Conger, Smoothie, Common Blenny, Goldshinny Wrasse, Grey Gurnard, Bass, Bull Huss, Tub Gurnard, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Launce, Homelyn Ray, Sandeel, Blue Shark

Species 2014: (40) Flounder PB 37cm, Shore Rockling, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Three Bearded Rockling, Pouting, Pollack, Whiting, Five Bearded Rockling, Codling, LSD, Dab, Smooth Hound, Tope PB 55lb, Bull Huss PB 13LB, Thornback Ray, Common Blenny, Ballan Wrasse, Black Goby, Grey Gurnard, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Mackerel, Launce, Cuckoo Wrasse, Coalie, Tub Gurnard, Poor Cod, Tompot Blenny, Rock Goby, Small Mouth Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldshinny Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Ling, Scad, Turbot, Sandeel, Haddock, Blue Shark PB 92LB, Mullet, Weever & an Octopus

Species 2013: (34)
Moody Marlin
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby Rob Millard » Thu May 22, 2014 12:55 pm

I think it was just coincidence myself. You stick to your mono MM, and I'll stick to my wire. If you outfish me the next time, I might begin to reconsider. I tried lots of different rig make ups over the years, but settled on what I use now over 10 years ago. I have caught hundreds of Tope since then, have an excellent hook up rate, and haven't had a trace fail on me since. For the record I use, 6ft 150lbs mono rubbing leader crimped with chaffing gear, American style crosslink swivel, 18" 100lbs wire, 7/0 Varivas Big Mouth Extra hook (have had success with circle hooks too). I regularly bring non fishing friends out too, and they catch Tope on the same set up.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
Moody Marlin (Thu May 22, 2014 2:01 pm)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby Stan » Wed May 28, 2014 6:36 pm

I have used both wire and 200lb mono. The latter will definitely catch more fish.

Just started using the same for pike fishing due to the advice given to me by Mick Flanagan who is one of the top guides in the country.

My belief is that the gear that we use here for tope & shark fishing is totally unnecessary. In the States they use much lighter gear for much bigger fish.

For this message the author Stan has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Wed May 28, 2014 7:37 pm)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Postby MAC » Fri May 30, 2014 11:27 am

I have caught on both as well. When the tide is slack I Nearly always switch to heavy Mono. If I'm using Mono I strike very early.. I might pull the bait on an odd fish, but you have a better chance of hitting the corner / edge of the mouth and not being bitten off. When I'm using wire I like nylon covered wire & I now use 50lb 7 strand. The 50lb kinks easier, so I have planty of traces made up and typically it's one fish per trace. There are times when you could use chain for Tope and it wouldn't make a difference, but I suppose like all fish, they have their finiky days and something more subtle will get them over the gunnels.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Fri May 30, 2014 12:54 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby anthony byrne » Fri May 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Superb fishing !
I was using 150lb rubbing leader and 120lb steel wire to the hook last week. The wire was destroyed after about 4 minutes of tope wrestling. I was surprised ! Steel wire for me
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)

For this message the author anthony byrne has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 pm)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Postby henrykelly10 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:51 am

well done Rob great fishing I agree to what your saying about the mono seen more Tope been caught with it but wire is more safe I use the mono myself and take the risk I be down that way next week if the weather is good please god. well done again

For this message the author henrykelly10 has received thanks:
Moody Marlin (Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:11 pm)
henrykelly10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby henrykelly10 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:52 am

well done Rob great fishing I agree to what your saying about the mono seen more Tope been caught with it but wire is more safe I use the mono myself and take the risk I be down that way next week if the weather is good please god. well done again

For this message the author henrykelly10 has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:33 am)
henrykelly10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 58 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports