Maiden Voyage, Lesley Ellen, Lough Swilly 22/01/06

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Maiden Voyage, Lesley Ellen, Lough Swilly 22/01/06

Postby petekd » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Definitely not a boat angling report but a somewhat funny story with a VERY strong safety message.

Myself and buddy headed to Buncrana on Sunday to launch our boat at sea for the first time. Spent a good half hour making final checks and fitting GPS, Finder, Radio etc. When satisfied everything was in place, my mate backed the boat down the slip, we fired up the engine and gave her a good shove off with myself on board. When satisfied I was sufficiently clear of the slip and drifting off to the right fairly quickly with the combination of a fresh breeze and tide I put the engine into gear with the intention of picking my buddy up on the far side. Engine revved up well but absolutely nothing happened....tried forward and reverse and still nothing. For those not familiar with launching off Buncrana Pier, there are some nasty rocks not too far below and above the surface to the right and slightly in towards the shore and I was drifting straight for these.

Fortunately, I had the Anchor stowed just inside the cabin door with rope neatly coiled and was able to throw it over in the nick of time, Had to lash it to one of the side cleats initially and quickly made my way to the front and tied on properly. Boat was now in just over 6 feet of water and about 15 yards from the rocks. On inspection of the outboard, it was clear that whilst the engine was revving away, the prop wasnt turning, the safety pin that holds it on to the drive shaft had fallen out (probably on the drive down) and we had neglected to see this on launching. :oops:

Buddy was looking on bemused from the pier, well out of distance to throw a line and I was in too deep to hop over the side and slip in a screw or something to hold it to get back to shore. Couldnt ring him as his phone was in the cabin. Joy. After much stretching and manoeuvering it was clear that there was no way to get a pin into the driveshaft without getting wet, it was at that point that the lads from the Lough Swilly lifeboat crew appeared. A passer by on the pier had kindly given them a call. The lads towed me back round and strapped together side by side we made it back on to dry land. Very dramatic stuff! They even helped to line boat up on trailer etc. They headed back to the station at Neds Point so on securing the boat we popped round to see them to thank them and give them a few quid. A nicer bunch of lads you couldnt have met. They spent an hour giving us a full tour of the station, hopping in and out of their boats and listening to stories of rescues past. Thanks again lads, ya saved me from a ducking at the very least.

There are several morals to this story, first one being always make sure your prop is secured as it should be. The fact that we had the anchor stowed neatly in an accessible place was however even more important. Another 30 seconds to a minute would have seen the boat grounded on rocks. Last of all, lets not forget the lads in the RNLI who work and train tirelessly on a voluntary basis to be in the position to help fools like me who dont check their prop pins before heading off to sea!

This was not the way we expected the day to go but alls well that ends well. Next time someone puts a collection box under your nose, dig deep lads, these guys get no government funding and do a sterling job providing what is essentially a free service for us.

Pete.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby paulbryson75 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:39 pm

Pete,
Not exactly the maiden voyage you hoped for.....
Was out all day on the Swilly myself and caught nothing anyway..... (As was another well known Forumboat....) Fish waren't in a feeding mood anyway so at least you didn't miss out on that )Its definitly not that we couldn't catch them they just waren't there!!!!).
I do agree that Buncrana can be a nasty spot when tide running to launch.
Good comments about the RNLI - thankfully have never needed them yet but as you say its very nice to know they are there. They also do an annual membership where you get a sticker for your boat and regular bulletins.
There is a slipway down by the marina in Fahan which around hight tide is an easy alunch spot. The lifeboat station at Neds Point can also be used.
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Yup, you'd be surprised how little a thing going wrong in a boat will put you in deep something.

It's always wise to carry a (waterproof, plastic) box of basic tools and consumables. With outboards, it's surprising how much you can do with a small socket and spanner set, hammer, pliers, snips, spare gallon of mixed fuel, spark plugs, wire brush, rags, lighter and sheer pins and a selection of split pins, small nuts washers and bolts, a couple of meters of 1/4 rope (I've had lots of starting cords break over the years, also used to have a seagull outboard, so spare plugs and prop shear springs were always carried in bulk) etc.

I've seen days when I would have killed for a rusty nail....

A sharp knife with a stong blade is always good for those ropes and nets which grab your prop. Keep it in your tool kit for that purpose only.

You'd also be surprised at the power output from a scared lad with a paddle, so if you have room, get a pair of oars or at least a canoe paddle.

There's a similar maxim about bilge pumps. Involves fear and buckets.
x

Postby petekd » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Vey pleased it wasnt summertime, just one car on the pier watching the recovery :D .... Mind you that was probably a reporter from the journal or democrat......
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby b0ogaloo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Pete was that you who sent out the pan pan distress call ??

we were up at port salon when it came through, was just about to respond, when one of the boats from the marina answered it .

Andy
b0ogaloo

Postby petekd » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:20 pm

No it wasnt me but I would say it was probably to do with me! It was a chap on the pier who rang the coastguard. I have a VHF on board but at that time I hadnt used it as wanted to exhaust all possible means of getting myself in before tying up the lifeboat crews time. Once the anchor was dropped I was in no danger to be honest (apart from falling over the side trying to reach that prop!) so wouldnt have called unless things had deteriorated or there was no possible way back in.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby quarterflounder » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Theres a lot to be said for beach fishing :D
quarterflounder

Postby pete » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 pm

You poor fecker Pete, hairy way to start the boating season. You did well having your anchor ready to go, made all the difference by the sounds of it.

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby jfkireland » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 am

Here Here Pete,
As a member of the RNLI, I am real glad they could help. :D
As a point to anyone, safety is paramount, and NEVER hesitate to contact the RNLI. The earlier the better in fact. :)
Cheers
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Bradan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Sandman wrote: also used to have a seagull outboard, so spare plugs and prop shear springs were always carried in bulk) etc.

Showing yer age Sandman - the Seagull must have been one of the first outboards ever sold in this country! Didn't they just have forward gear and no reverse? Think I saw one in an antique shop a while ago.... :P

Good to hear you survived the maiden voyage Pete, and glad the boat is still in one piece!
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby petekd » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Cheers mate, hoping for better luck this Sunday, weather permitting.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby x » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:33 pm

It's been that long I'd forgotten about not having reverse! Or having to refuel every half hour.....

Haven't forgotten the shocks I used to get from sticking my hand behind to check it was still dribbling coolant and touching the HT lead with wet fingers (checks like that became a kind of reflex).....like getting hit in the shoulder with a lump hammer....or maybe the shocks account for the memory loss.... :lol:
x

Postby SeanP » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:09 am

Hope your next trip goes better Pete, got away lightly compared to this guy's maiden voyage! [url]http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17794[/url]
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:20 am

I had a nice few chuckles at that alright, swiftly followed by touching wood several times! Yeah, things could always be worse.... :D Still, theres only one way to learn. What I really wish is that I could have been party to the conversation between the bloke on the pier and Malin Head Coastguard....

Theres a bloke in a bit of bother here,

Whats the problem?

He appears to be trying to mount his outboard....

Location/GPS coordinates please...

50 yards off Buncrana pier......!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Accony » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Pete,

Sorry to here of your small problem :P

At least you had the drain plug in! Twice I have forgotten mine :oops: Luckily you notice all that water when you are launching so it's generally not a problem :? .

Another useful tool in the boat is an extending boat hook, which can be used as a punt pole or for unwrapping nets, ropes, weed etc from your prop.

Stay dry

Colin
Accony
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports