Galway Bay 26th. March

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Galway Bay 26th. March

Postby Peter Kinsella » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:04 pm

Fished the low tide. First mark started off with a goldsinny then a lsd. After that spurdogs, spurdogs and more spurdogs of all sizes. Moved to second deep water mark and caught the obligatory pollack then a number of coalfish. Towards the end of the session a pair of codling weighing about 3 lbs. each. Big movement of razorbills and the spring’s first puffin sighted.
Peter Kinsella
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby JAKES » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Hi peter, where about did you come across the spurdogs? what bait where you using and what size where they. very interested in catching a couple..
JAKES
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Peter Kinsella » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:52 pm

Hi Jakes,

Caught the spurs by fishing mackeral flapper on the bottom and also using large feathers tipped with mackeral strip. If you catch one you will catch many more. They shoal in big numbers - packs. Size varies greatly. I don't weigh my fish but would say average spur is about 8 or 9 lbs. and the largest last week would have been about 14 lbs. - too big to put in boat. I am able to disgorge from side with my 'special' disgorger.
Not so willing to disclose my marks. I will, however, swap marks if you so wish. You can do this by e-mailing me on bog@iol.ie. The mark where I get the spurs is a great place for multi-species from April to October. It is a good tope mark too.

Peter
Peter Kinsella
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports