Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Brent Caswell and Gerry Walsh:

6 hours:

slack:

good:

squid:

flowing trace:

[b]18lb 11 oz Thornback, specimen weight I understand is 17.64lb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Specimen Thornback 18lb 11oz

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm

haha! fair enough Dragonfly, nice fish
and i dont mean to be rude, but surely that fish is under 10lb ! more like 4 or 5lb ?!
it certainly looks nowhere near the size you claim it to be
did you weigh it yourself? are the scales verified?

heres a pic of a 18lb 12oz fish:

normalimageviewer.jpg

pity to see it dead too.. unless you planned to eat it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

have to say i agree with chuckaroo..........

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 pm

8lb11oz :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Have to say I thought it was maybe 12lb, but verified scales said 18.. Bad pic of it maybe

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:03 pm

mate, the ray above looks way bigger than the one in your photograph. mine is not held out towards the camera, yours is. mine looks to have a far thicker tail and broader wingspan. yours weighed 18lb+
mine weighed in at under 10lb

are you going to claim it?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Claim it ? Absolutely not: I dont fish for badges , just decent fish.

Second fish within two weeks that has spooled line from me !

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44198&p=343919&hilit=marlin#p343919

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Dragonfly wrote:Claim it ? Absolutely not: I dont fish for badges , just decent fish.

well at least that is something to be glad of.

might be an idea to have your scales looked at as well :wink: . I'm guessing they are digital? i once had a set of digitals that told me a 2.75lb hybrid was 12.25lb. i had the common sense to realise that the scales were way off the mark....

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Well, it was out club chairman and his scales. Leinster council member , EFSA Ireland etc, So, I had to trust him.. No matter though. it has gone to feed several families today.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Theres no way that is even over 10lbs.
4 or 5lbs maybe.
Nice catch all the same.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Deffo more than 5lb but deffo not 18lb unless it had a good day on the beer and didnt break the seal...

Nice catch all the same mate.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 pm

nice ray dragonfly...i got caught out before with the weight issue with bullsh*t length-to-weight converters online as i did not have a scales with me... :oops:
maybe your lads scales took a few bad knocks and needs to be recalibrated? dunno...id have to say tho i woulda been happier to hear he went back alive,but sure at least he was eaten.tis a lovely fish tho... id say the kite resistance was mad off it during the fight...well done,tis a lovely catch.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:43 pm

lucky13 wrote:nice ray dragonfly......id have to say tho i woulda been happier to hear he went back alive,but sure at least he was eaten..
he was a she, why would you prefer to see it going back alive they are a great eating fish,i would see no differance between that and a big cork cod been kept for the pan :wink:

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

give the chap a break he was goin by some1s scales not his fault to be fair mate looks around the 8lb mark though nice catch and fair play to you

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Nice fish lad ;)

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

JOHN1 wrote:
lucky13 wrote:nice ray dragonfly......id have to say tho i woulda been happier to hear he went back alive,but sure at least he was eaten..
he was a she, why would you prefer to see it going back alive they are a great eating fish,i would see no differance between that and a big cork cod been kept for the pan :wink:

i wasnt quite sure i couldnt see her underside...shouldv known by the size..but thanks for pointing that out to me john 1.
im sure that they are good eating although i have never ate one.the reason why id like to have heard she went back is beacuse they arent as frequent as a big cork cod taking your bait anymore.but hey like i said at least he was eaten.excuse me she was eaten. :wink:

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:10 pm

lucky13 wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:

i wasnt quite sure i couldnt see her underside...shouldv known by the size..but thanks for pointing that out to me john 1.
im sure that they are good eating although i have never ate one.the reason why id like to have heard she went back is beacuse they arent as frequent as a big cork cod taking your bait anymore.but hey like i said at least he was eaten.excuse me she was eaten. :wink:

\
Alot more thornies than big cod in cork these days :o

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:07 pm

peakle wrote:
lucky13 wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:

\
Alot more thornies than big cod in cork these days :o

tis still a bit early for cod i'd be thinking,tis still very warm..are you landing alot of thornies peakle?