Lady Jane, Port Na Blagh, 27+28 July 2013

Postby scrob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 am

People: Myself +1

Duration: 5 Hrs Sat / 5 Hrs Sun

Tide: Falling

Weather: B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Bait: Mack

Rigs: Hokkais, Animal Rig, Large Single Hook Bottom Rig

Results: Mack, pollack, coalies, dab, thornback ray, cuckoo ray?

Report:

SAT

Fished around Horn Head looking for mackeral, nothing at all for the first hour very poor fishing then finally located them and they came thick and fast. Went in a bit closer to the horn in search of pollack and landed a fine fish in the 4-5lb region. Then headed out to the sand in skate bay and dropped an animal rig and a large single hook rig to the bottom baited with a full mackeral fillet. Soon I had landed 2 small thornies and a third ray which I think is a cuckoo ray???

Is this a cuckoo ray?

thornie

I also got a lovely dab about 28cm isn (didn't get a pic or use the scale rule, doh!). Headed in then closer to the rocks in search of pollack, not much around other than a couple of smallish ones so decided to pack up and head for home when I came across a huge basking shark just chilling out feeding near the surface. After watching for a few mins he swam right under my boat!

SUN

Today was flat calm and Tory Island was on the cards. Again though the mack proved elusive and it took well over an hour to locate them. We headed into skate bay for a look around and got distracted by a pair of basking sharks working back and forth in the same area so stopped for a look, my mate took a cracker video:

http://youtu.be/dwhr6Hyg_P8

We then steamed out to Tory at a steady 20knots for my first ever crack at the fishing. With no experience to go on we just took it easy and made our way around the perimeter of the island in circa 40-90ft of water until we found the fish. There were huge schools of plump little 1lb coalies going crazy which was good sport, pulling in treble shots at a time on fairly light tackle was a welcome boost to what had been a crap day so far. We worked our way on around and tired of the relentless coalies in search of something better. We rounded the easterly tip which seemed to have a reef which we drifted several times and yielded a fine pollack for keith:

Afterwards we returned to skate bay for a while and were rewarded with our final thornie of the trip, small but beautiful:

2011 Species: 191lb Common Skate, Mackerel, Pollock, Spotted Ray, Spurdog, Thornback Ray, Tub Gurnard
scrob
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Lady Jane, Port Na Blagh, 27+28 July 2013

Postby henrykelly10 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 am

great fishing and great report :wink:
henrykelly10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby anthony byrne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 am

Great report, those basking sharks are cool
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Postby Tom H » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 am

Nice fishing you had. Sorry to say but there both thornback rays that you got there.
Tom H
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 44 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Was wondering where you'd got to..... Thornies, but you weren't a million miles away from a couple of Cuckoo Ray marks.

Looks like a fantastic day around Tory.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby scrob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 pm

That's my fishing over for the foreseeable future, just took payment tonight for our boat and don't think she will be replaced any time soon!
2011 Species: 191lb Common Skate, Mackerel, Pollock, Spotted Ray, Spurdog, Thornback Ray, Tub Gurnard
scrob
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 pm

scrob wrote:That's my fishing over for the foreseeable future, just took payment tonight for our boat and don't think she will be replaced any time soon!

Don't be silly, there's still plenty of fish within casting range of the shore! :lol:
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby scrob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 am

Lmao, just not the same though :cry: Will have to get a good crack at these trout while I am boat-less.
scrob
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Moody Marlin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Cool video of the basking sharks, weather and conditions looked smashing. Nice few fish, fair play. Apparently the coalies are everywhere up there at the mo. I'm fishing Downings next weekend, can't wait :)
Species 2015: Long Spined Sea Scorpion, LSD, Poor Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Corkwing Wrasse, Tompot Blenny, Thornie, Tope, Dab, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Pouting, Herring, Coalie, Rock Goby, Mackerel, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ling, Cod, Conger, Smoothie, Common Blenny, Goldshinny Wrasse, Grey Gurnard, Bass, Bull Huss, Tub Gurnard, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Launce, Homelyn Ray, Sandeel, Blue Shark

Species 2014: (40) Flounder PB 37cm, Shore Rockling, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Three Bearded Rockling, Pouting, Pollack, Whiting, Five Bearded Rockling, Codling, LSD, Dab, Smooth Hound, Tope PB 55lb, Bull Huss PB 13LB, Thornback Ray, Common Blenny, Ballan Wrasse, Black Goby, Grey Gurnard, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Mackerel, Launce, Cuckoo Wrasse, Coalie, Tub Gurnard, Poor Cod, Tompot Blenny, Rock Goby, Small Mouth Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldshinny Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Ling, Scad, Turbot, Sandeel, Haddock, Blue Shark PB 92LB, Mullet, Weever & an Octopus

Species 2013: (34)
Moody Marlin
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports