Specimen Spurdog Dublin PB.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 pm

People:two

Duration: day

Tide:plenty

Weather: mirror calm

Bait:rag mack

Rigs:mixed

Results:SPURDOG POUTING DOGS DABS BALLAN WRASSE.

Report:this is a quick report,i got a phone call at the weekend to crew on a mates boat so jumped at the chance we planned for tuesday to fish some wrecks the wrecks had nothing but pouting upto 37cm
37cm pouting.JPG
and wrasse not one pollack to be seen :shock: we then made a decision to go to one of our old stomping grounds i set up with a light rig to test the water and on my second drop i was into a brute of a fish got him to about 20 ft under the boat and rig snapped :twisted: so out with heavy duty stuff and about a half hour later i was into a good fish again this time i had more confidence in what i was using after a good fight i seen a fish under the boat a tope i taught as we had never had spurs from this mark before untill i seen the spots through the water i called for the net fish landed photographed and weighed with my electro samson it came in at 15.25lbs and 44inches long
15.25lb spur and me.JPG
a cracker of a fish and a personal best for me not sure if i will ever get to beat it another specimen under my belt with the picture to prove it fish back safley to be caught hopefully another day :D two specimen fish within a couple of weeks of each other will take some beating 8) .
we also had some minkey whales
minkey whale.JPG
getting very close to us on even scratched itself off the anchor rope shaking the boat in the process wat a sight unbeleivable day out 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Specimen Spurdog Dublin PB.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Congrats on the specimen 8) The sea looks like a mill pond, sounds a great day out!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Well done John

That a beauty of a fish.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Good man John nice

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Jaysus that's a clonker of a Spur. Great to see them around again. They are on my species to get list this year. Congrats again. :)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Nice one John that's a fine spur;) would love to get one from the shore but don't know if its possible :(

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Is there no stopping this man ! Flying form there John. Beautiful fish well done. Cool pics

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 am

great fishing John

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 am

fish of a lifetime there John, hearty congratulations to another PB, excellent report!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Congrats john nice fish

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Fair play John .Isnt that your 2nd speccie Spur in recent times? I've never even seen one .Maybe tomorrow.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Moody Marlin wrote:Jaysus that's a clonker of a Spur. Great to see them around again. They are on my species to get list this year. Congrats again. :)
They are nearly always there the problem is getting to them :wink:
FRANK1 wrote:Fair play John .Isnt that your 2nd speccie Spur in recent times? I've never even seen one .Maybe tomorrow.
your bang on frank1 i have had a good few spurs over the years but claimed a specimen 12.5lb back in 2007, this one was released the same as the hound a couple of weeks back and no claim will be made on either of them :wink: had a specimen 3B rockling last year that i returned aswell the pictures will do me 8)

Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:52 am

Super report John. Well done on the Spur!

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am

nice spurdog

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:48 am

Had a calm day myself in kilmore and I was using an unbaited pirk and feathers, I got snagged on the bottom and the hook bent and when reeling in I got two taps and it felt like there was a small fish on it but when I looked over there was a decent tope,smoothound or a spurdog on the pirk five feet below the boat and to my horror it came off,some might not believe me but it was definitely looked like one of the fish above,anybody know what it could've been, skipper dick said it was probably a small tope

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Spur dog popping up everywhere - a species on the up?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Eoin wrote:Spur dog popping up everywhere - a species on the up?
could you be a bit more specific, where is everywhere :?: far from been on the up classed as an endangered species.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Nice one

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:10 pm

nice one john 8)

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:09 pm

hi John
where do you find the classes for fish?

JOHN1 wrote:
Eoin wrote:Spur dog popping up everywhere - a species on the up?
could you be a bit more specific, where is everywhere :?: far from been on the up classed as an endangered species.