Postby kieranring » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 am

People:Niall Mac and Me

Duration:5 hrs

Tide:

Weather:Very Warm and flat calm

Bait:Mackeral

Rigs:

Results:3 Blue Shark and lost one

Report:Beautifull evening , lots of shark around saw 7 or 8 swimming around the ruddy dubby slick , long may this fine weather continue :D :D :D
Attachments
DSC_0179 (640x360).jpg
DSC_0179 (640x360).jpg (139.54 KiB) Viewed 929 times
DSC_0188 (640x360).jpg
DSC_0188 (640x360).jpg (119.39 KiB) Viewed 929 times
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Re: Sharkfishing Youghal 09/07/13

Postby JOHN1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 pm

great fishing kieran well done 8)
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby smiliejp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

well done great to see shark report coming in .nice photos well done that will get the buzz going for cobh cant wait
smiliejp
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 16 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Moody Marlin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Excellent work. Nict to see them around. Weather defo helping. :)
Species 2015: Long Spined Sea Scorpion, LSD, Poor Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Corkwing Wrasse, Tompot Blenny, Thornie, Tope, Dab, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Pouting, Herring, Coalie, Rock Goby, Mackerel, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ling, Cod, Conger, Smoothie, Common Blenny, Goldshinny Wrasse, Grey Gurnard, Bass, Bull Huss, Tub Gurnard, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Launce, Homelyn Ray, Sandeel, Blue Shark

Species 2014: (40) Flounder PB 37cm, Shore Rockling, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Three Bearded Rockling, Pouting, Pollack, Whiting, Five Bearded Rockling, Codling, LSD, Dab, Smooth Hound, Tope PB 55lb, Bull Huss PB 13LB, Thornback Ray, Common Blenny, Ballan Wrasse, Black Goby, Grey Gurnard, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Mackerel, Launce, Cuckoo Wrasse, Coalie, Tub Gurnard, Poor Cod, Tompot Blenny, Rock Goby, Small Mouth Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldshinny Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Ling, Scad, Turbot, Sandeel, Haddock, Blue Shark PB 92LB, Mullet, Weever & an Octopus

Species 2013: (34)
Moody Marlin
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mann » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Well done Kieran

I never caught a blue yet but will be trying for one out of cork soon, its great to see they are here, where they far out ?
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby donal murphy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Well done lovely fish... I need to get a boat... I say this every year when the shark reports get posted tho.
donal murphy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 55 times

Postby kieranring » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 pm

I got them a few days from 6 miles off the Ram to 15 Miles off Ballycotton , I tried closer today for a couple of hrs, but there was very little drift in very calm conditions so wasnt sure if it was that we wern't moving very much or whether they just wernt in that close, water temp was 18 degrees and loads of mackeral around, got buzzed by a killer whale so that was exciting , havnt seen one for a few years , and loads of sunfish around again havnt seen them for years.

For this message the author kieranring has received thanks:
mann (Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 am)
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Postby mann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:41 am

Sounds great Kieran,

Just to let u know that I didn’t ask about the distance out of idle curiosity,

Soon after reading your report I made up half a dozen shark rigs and debarbed the hooks “as you say” it makes life easy if you’re on your lonesome which is often the case for me,

It really does my head in when after spending days and days watching for a window to get out your crew goes AWOL "AGAIN" :roll: leaving you with no time to invite the many people that would have jumped at the offer of getting away for the day,

I hope to get out “Crew or no Crew” for the Blue mid week from Cobh, it will be my first try for them in this area, so here’s hoping

And thank you for the incentive to give them a bash 8)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby kieranring » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Just a word of warning, sharks are hard work if not downright dangerous on your own , I went on my own a fortnight ago and had one small one about 40lbs and released him at the side of the boat even with a barbless hook and he was cleanly hooked after a massive struggle, they go absolutely mad when they see the the boat, you think you have them beaten and when you grab the trace they go bezerk again and if your on your own this can happen 3 or 4 times so make sure you have your rod secure and the drag set fairly loose or you'll lose the lot , really I not trying to be a smart b*****d but I would'nt advise it on your own and if you are ever stuck for someone to go out give me a shout or you can come out with me.
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Etihad » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

kieranring wrote:I got them a few days from 6 miles off the Ram to 15 Miles off Ballycotton , I tried closer today for a couple of hrs, but there was very little drift in very calm conditions so wasnt sure if it was that we wern't moving very much or whether they just wernt in that close, water temp was 18 degrees and loads of mackeral around, got buzzed by a killer whale so that was exciting , havnt seen one for a few years , and loads of sunfish around again havnt seen them for years.

Might explain the absense of shark :lol:
Etihad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby mann » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:06 am

Your advice and offer is much appreciated Kieran, The chap that “SHOULD” be with me tomorrow used to be a merchant seaman and also worked as a trawler man, By the sound of it he has seen and done it all before,

After what you said, It sure will be nice to have an old hand on the boat for the first couple of times, I seen a picture of a chap in England holding the head of a blue while his mate held the tail, seconds after the picture was taken the fish locked onto his hand, he had to be airlifted to hospital for major surgery,

And yes, I would be more than pleased to have an experienced hand such as yourself with me, So if you don’t mind being kidnapped / shanghaied one of the days please let me know,

I get on well with the chap that’s coming out tomorrow and I reckon he will turn up on time “ He must have crystal balls :shock: He just rang me to confirm the trip was still on :D “ so maybe you will let me know if you will be available in a couple of weeks time for a trip, I could pop down to pick you up if need be.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm

kieranring wrote:Just a word of warning, sharks are hard work if not downright dangerous on your own , I went on my own a fortnight ago and had one small one about 40lbs and released him at the side of the boat even with a barbless hook and he was cleanly hooked after a massive struggle, they go absolutely mad when they see the the boat, you think you have them beaten and when you grab the trace they go bezerk again and if your on your own this can happen 3 or 4 times so make sure you have your rod secure and the drag set fairly loose or you'll lose the lot , really I not trying to be a smart b*****d but I would'nt advise it on your own and if you are ever stuck for someone to go out give me a shout or you can come out with me.

Wise words there.
Even releasing at the side would be difficult on your own. Bringing a fish on board could be fatal!
A few year ago S.M. a very experienced shark angler and writer with Sea Angler got twenty seven stitches in his hand while fishing for blues. I shudder to think what would have happened if he was alone.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby kieranring » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Ya no problem anytime, just give me a PM, and if I'm free I'd love to go. Fished yesterday for a few hrs had two largest 95lbs but had to come in because it got fairly rough (wind against tide) and thick fog but I'll give them a go again now for the evening.
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Postby mann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Well gents I took heed to your advice, So just in case he didn’t show up on Tuesday morning I packed Bass / Pollock and Cod gear,

We got plenty of mackerel “big & small” in the harbour before heading out about 5 mile, no sign of a shark for us but while the shark rods were out we fished the bottom and caught Ling / red & grey gurnard more mackerel,

Then I caught this 67+cm Cod that my mate reckoned on being the bones of 8lb :D tiss my best one yet and it took the sting out of losing a 6lb cod at the side of the boat,
Thanks again for the advice lads.

2013-07-16 16.04.30.jpg
2013-07-16 16.04.30.jpg (137.33 KiB) Viewed 608 times
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby kieranring » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 am

Tried at 5 miles myself yesterday for 3 hrs and blanked only drifted about a mile and the same thing last saturday boat wasnt moving and neither was the slick we just seemed to be sitting in it, tides are very small at the moment so just tgive them a try again next week when there will be a bit more movement in the water and go a bit farther out and you'll get one.
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports