Good mix for a chowder (IMELDA) 3/5/13

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm

People: Two

Duration: 10 hours 12.30 to 10.30pm

Tide:ebb/flood

Weather:ok to start

Bait:rag mack launce crab

Rigs:various

Results (15) Species. Coalie ,cod, Pollack ,LSD, weever ,Launce ,whiting, pouting, corkwing wrasse, ballan wrasse, long spined sea scorpion ,tub gurnard, grey gurnard, Dab, and mackerel.

Report:headed off for a few hours in search of a couple of bigger species I was after tope and huss went in search of fresh bait first and manages a few fresh macks the largest been 43cm fine fish that weighed 1.68lbs. I gave the animals about 6 hours and not as much as a bite from either on the big rods, but we were picking up species on the other rods a quick count and I said we have 8 I said we should turn it into at least 12 to turn it into an ok species day before we go in so a decision was made to abandon the species we waited on for so long. There were a few species that we should get handy enough the problem was that time was against us and we were not organized to fish into the dark i had no lights with me. So off we went and not long before a few codling and a couple of small coalies turned up happy days we were into double figures.then a few minis were caught few pouting and a couple of sea scorpions then a weever the first one on my own boat have had them on other boats. then we had some Pollack and wrasse to finish up with 15 species a great variety for around these parts,also had 2 new ones for my braggin rights so at least something good came of it. I missed out on some fairly easy targets to help hit the personal target I have of 20 species in a day up here simply because I ran out of time,I said I wanted 20 after the day I had 18 last year, this only encourages me more and it is going to take a long day im already talking of a 15 hour day to give it a good shot, as I said before watch this space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Good mix for a chowder (IMELDA) 3/5/13

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 pm

I am so glad that at least someone knows about the culinary qualities of the humble weever :) A main ingredient of the famous french dish bouillabaisse, which is basically only a healthier mediterranean form of our chowder. Don't throw the Mackerel into it though, grill it separately, the flavour of any oily fish is too overpowering in a delicate dish like that. Nice mix of species there John, I think we can optimistically look forward to another good and calm week. Hope I haven't jinxed it now ;)

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Nice session well done

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:15 am

Awesome days fishing John. You certainly know where to go and how to target the species. Fair play :)

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:33 am

That's some going John fair play to ye.With the nice weather now upon us i can see you getting 20 species no problem.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks men :wink:
nicefish wrote:That's some going John fair play to ye.With the nice weather now upon us i can see you getting 20 species no problem.
cheers nicefish, thats the plan anyway, hopefully it comes together but it wont be easy i might have bit off a lot more than i can chew but it does make my fishing a lot more interesting :wink:

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Well done JOHN

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:37 am

Great fishing john nice long session aswell

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 pm

thanks seanie, 10 hours is nice i love the log sessions have been out over the past two days 10 species an sat and 11 yesterday with the young crew and herself mirror like conditions and a few nice fish with ray just over the 8lb mark, will try a report later if i get a chance :wink: