Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:02 am

People: Me, my old man, Moody Marlin

Duration: 12 hours

Tide: flood & ebb

Weather: Cloudy to start, sunny finish. Moderate W wind

Bait: Mackeral, Launce, Crab, Soft plastics

Rigs: varios

Results: Tope, Smoothound, Bass, Bull Huss, LSD, Dab, Grey Gurnard

Report: MM had to work this morning, so I roped my aul fella into coming out for an hour or two, so we launched at 8am with the intention of trying to get a silver fella. I had misread the tides slightly so we spent an hour doing very little really. It was gone 9 before the tide began to run, and after a couple of fruitless short drifts, I had a bass of 50cm. We tried another drift, and then I had to drop the old boy back as he wanted to watch the lions. I didn't fancy Tope fishing alone so I went to some ground where I knew I would pick up some smoothies and other bits and bobs. It wasn't exactly hectic but I managed a few smoothies around the 4-5lbs mark, some dogs, dabs & Gurnard. As the tide began to ease at around lunchtime, MM rang to say he was en route, so I hauled anchor to try a drift to pick up some bait. Alas, there was no Mackerel to be had, but I did get a 4 lbs smoothie on the 20g spinning rod on the drift which was a bit of craic. I picked MM up at the pier at about 3pm and we decided to head straight for one of my favourite Tope marks. We happened to be passing the spot where I'd picked up the bass earlier so we tried another drift, and picked up a marginally bigger bass that fought twice as hard on the same 20g spin rod. Once anchored on the Tope mark we had to wait a little bit for the 1st run. When it came, it was a male in the late 20s. We went on to catch another 5. The biggest was 34lbs, and it picked up the bait and swam towards the boat. I had to reel like bejaysus to make contact and set the hook. It went off on a couple of powerful runs, and then went dead weight, a sure sign it had rolled up in the trace. I spent about 5 mins thumbing the spool and gently pumping it back towards the boat against 2 knots of tide. Eventually got it to the boat and just as MM was about to leader it in, it unrolled itself and steamed off again. Every now and then you get a Tope that totally beats you up, and this was one of those occasions. We picked up a couple of Huss in amongst the Tope, and I fancied completing the Cahore Grand Slam (Huss, Tope, Smoothound & Ray in 1 day) so we headed to a spot where I thought we had a chance of a Ray for the final hour, but all we managed was a few more dogs & a couple of Smoothies. It was great to get my 1st full day at it this year after nothing but a couple of evening trips. Can't wait to get out again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cahore 29 June

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 am

Looks like we'll just have to wait another week or two before we can attempt the 'Cahore Grand Slam'
Thanks again for another excellent days fishing Rob. Think ya need to update your signature!! ;)

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

What a session can't wait to get out to cahore myself

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 am

Some cracking fish and photos well done Rob.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Cracking days fishing well done. :D

Yappo

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Fairplay lads on a cracking days fishing and some cracking fish to show for it,welldone also on a great report and photos to go with it.

John Ainsworth.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Well done, great report,,,,that was some day's fishing :wink:

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Great day's fishing there, that's a lovely huss!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 pm

only seeing this now rob great fishing and super report well done 8)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Nice one! Bass, hound and Tope. You can't argue with that

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

What a smashing trip! An anglers life doesn't get much better than this! :) And an excellent report to finish it up in style! Big well done! 8)