Boat Mackerel Reports '13 here...

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Re: Boat Mackerel Reports '13 here...

Postby Spruce » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:32 pm

JOHN1 wrote:
ark rose glenn wrote:Caught hundreds today at howth at the back of irelands eye. And also had a seal. We got hounded by the seals. But still managed a few hundred between 3 of us in 4 hours

what are you going to do with hundreds of them :?:

Could not agree more. Sheer greed.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

For this message the author Spruce has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:11 pm)
Spruce
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 pm

i had 70 in the boat on tuesday 15th october and i had about 30 yesterday 17th lots of joeys in the mix returned dozens of them just by shaking them off the hooks, if you can get out and bag up before they are gone for another year :wink:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby ark rose glenn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:34 am

Spruce wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:
ark rose glenn wrote:Caught hundreds today at howth at the back of irelands eye. And also had a seal. We got hounded by the seals. But still managed a few hundred between 3 of us in 4 hours

I released most of the fish alive lads, sorry my bad I should of mentioned that when putting up the report. I kept about 30 fish for dinner and bait for the winter. And I agree it is sheer greed to keep that many fish , but I did let most of them go so I don't think 30 fish is greedy.
Species 2014; coalie, whiting,flounder, smoothound, LSD, codling, pollock,pouting, cookoo wrasse, goldsinny wrasse, mackerel, blue shark, conger eel, rock goby, blenny, plaice, dab, herring, poor cod,painted ray, weaver,
Species 2013:......Whiting, dab , flounder, codling, pouting, mackeral, dogfish, pollock, 3beard rocking,plaice, smoothound, blenny.
Species 2012:...whiting, dab, flounder, codling, pollock, conger,mackeral, herring, 3 beard rockling,
5 beard rockling, pouting, LSD,sea trout,scorpion,
ark rose glenn
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby JOHN1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 pm

ark rose glenn wrote:
Spruce wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:

I released most of the fish alive lads, sorry my bad I should of mentioned that when putting up the report. I kept about 30 fish for dinner and bait for the winter. And I agree it is sheer greed to keep that many fish , but I did let most of them go so I don't think 30 fish is greedy.

nothing wrong with keeping any or all of the fish you caught i was only wondering what would you do with so many all at once, no good stuffing the freezer all at the one time it just dont let them freeze quick enough, little and often is the way to do it, get back out for another 30 while they are still there :lol: :lol: :wink:

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ark rose glenn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:08 am

JOHN1 I'd love to get back out for more but on the way home from that trip the wheel off the trailer came off and followed me down the m50. So I've to wait till I get that fixed.i think it will be next year before I catch another mackeral on my boat. I think it's shore angling for me for the next few months now ....lol
Species 2014; coalie, whiting,flounder, smoothound, LSD, codling, pollock,pouting, cookoo wrasse, goldsinny wrasse, mackerel, blue shark, conger eel, rock goby, blenny, plaice, dab, herring, poor cod,painted ray, weaver,
Species 2013:......Whiting, dab , flounder, codling, pouting, mackeral, dogfish, pollock, 3beard rocking,plaice, smoothound, blenny.
Species 2012:...whiting, dab, flounder, codling, pollock, conger,mackeral, herring, 3 beard rockling,
5 beard rockling, pouting, LSD,sea trout,scorpion,
ark rose glenn
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby JOHN1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am

ark rose glenn wrote:JOHN1 I'd love to get back out for more but on the way home from that trip the wheel off the trailer came off and followed me down the m50. So I've to wait till I get that fixed.i think it will be next year before I catch another mackeral on my boat. I think it's shore angling for me for the next few months now ....lol
i hope you get trailer sorted out soon enough.

I was out on friday 1/11/13 and still plenty of macks about two of us had about 70/80 we kept around 40 of the better ones 8)

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby hugo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 pm

ark rose glenn wrote:I released most of the fish alive lads.

Think I read somewhere that macks are particularly thin-skinned and dont survive any kind of handling, except maybe shaking them off the hook, and even then. Nowadays I prefer to fish them with a single lure and light gear and stop once the bait/dinner quota is reached. Just my personal thing - measured against massive commercial slaughter, anything we do either way is just a p*ss in the ocean.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Previous

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports