Dublin Boat Marks (IMELDA) first trip of the year 4/1/13

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

People: myself and harry

Duration:12 to 630pm

Tide:flood/ebb

Weather:fine at first then gusty

Bait:mack rag lug crab squid mussell

Rigs:a fwe

Results: 5 species whitings, corkwing wrasse, poorcod, dabs, ls sea scorpion.

Report: as planned i got out for the first trip of the year, and what a glorious day to be out seen yappo out between the islands doing a couple of drifts before he headed for the horizon.
we stayed put and tryed some of our usual marks, whiting were the order of the day for a while then i decided i was going to try one of my wrasse marks i said to harry they cant all have headed off since its only a few weeks since i was getting them form the shore.
very slow to start after a biteless half hour i settled into a cup of tea and then like a switch i started getting bites then the first and very welcome corkwing of the year shows itself happy days, finish tea and time for a move.
dogs and dabs were what we were after here no show from the dogs but i managed a good few dabs on this mark harry might have left his rod at home it just wasnt happening for him. a few moves later and starting to get confused with no bites and with darkness setting in i decided to head for a bit of shelter from the wind that was getting up.
again things were very slow but with darkness we had high hopes of a few fish,again no bites other than a poorcod and the smallest sea scorpion i have ever caught, 5 species on the first day aint bad 8)
Attachments
corky.JPG
corky.JPG (57.82 KiB) Viewed 758 times
scorpion head.JPG
scorpion head.JPG (84.3 KiB) Viewed 758 times

Re: Dublin Boat Marks (IMELDA) first trip of the year 4/1/13

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 am

Nice one John great start to the year , wrasse at the time of year is that normal ?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 am

would not call it normal paul, but never say never :wink: if you dont try you will never know, defo the earliest i have ever caught one.
where i got this one from is a bit of a hotspot for them when they are in :D

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 am

Good work John and Harry, hope to see you on the water soon :)

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 am

Thats an early start all right! Any idea the water temp in Dublin bay at this point?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi hugo water temp was 7C.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

JOHN1 wrote:Hi hugo water temp was 7C.

Interesting. It's 3C higher over this side in Donegal Bay. Should make for good fishing but just look at the wave heights
http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsd ... ons.htm#M4
:shock: It'll be July again before we get out...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 am

Hugo wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:Hi hugo water temp was 7C.

Interesting. It's 3C higher over this side in Donegal Bay. Should make for good fishing but just look at the wave heights
http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsd ... ons.htm#M4
:shock: It'll be July again before we get out...

interesting allright, but dont forget the weather buoys are offshore in deep water, the water cools down much more in the shallow's.
some wave heights 8) , you might consider taking up surfing as a passtime and get one of them old VW campers and live on the beach for a few months :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Well, that buoy is not too far due north of us, and there's 120ft depth right up the cliff edges round here.... :?
Think I'll stayed berthed on the high stool for a while yet, and keep watching the interesting reports from Imelda. 8) Keep up the good work!
Topic locked