SPURS & PLENTY OF BULLHUSS OFF WICKLOW

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

SPURS & PLENTY OF BULLHUSS OFF WICKLOW

Postby CEng » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am

We are due to travel up to Kit Dunne in Wicklow in November but with news of Specimen Spurs filtering thro' we decided to travel this week also. A motley crew were gathered from almost the 4 corners. Left Cork at 05.30, arriving at wicklow at 08.10.Having recorded 2 specimen fish last week in big tides I was very optimistic coming into slacker tides.Kit opted for a deeper channel this time as the tides were easy; I felt we had a great chance in a break in the weather last Tuesday. Timing was critical so we set off early to get the best of both worlds each side of the slack water.
Kit anchored just at the edge of a deep drop off, while not being right in the middle of the actual channel, he believed this to be the best spot ! The tide was still running South fairly hard but we fished it fine. I was into into something almost straight away which was promising, please be a Spur I thought. It wasn’t a Spur but a fine BullHuss of around 8lb or 9lb. That was ok, not a Spur, but we were getting some fish. We fished on as the tide eased slowly then bang, Paul had a hit and again it looked good, he slowly pumped and reeled. Then it appeared, A Spur ! well, happy days, Kit netted the fish and took pleasure in the fact that we had hit the spot. I knew we were in for a few more Spudogs as the tide eased further and I was looking forward to it more and more.
As time passed we appeared to take turns getting a Spur or BullHuss, they showed at a rate of 2 to one, 2 Spur for every one Huss. This was exceptional fishing, we hooked almost 20 Spudogs and 9 BullHuss in total, every Huss but one were above 8lb and the Spur ranged from 4lb to 14lb.
We were all very happy with the result so far but we hadn’t landed any specimens, Yet ! The tide had turned and was running fairly hard north; we discussed wrapping up in a half hour as the breeze was picking up also. That agreed, we fished on, then as we struggled with tide Myles Howell hooked a good fish, it wasn’t clear just how good the fish was given the tide and heavy lead used but we were optimistic. After a few minutes and some hard work Kit netted a fine Spurdog for Myles, it was very clear it was a specimen. Into the large cool box the specimen fish went, filled with water and with the deck hose running through it, we gave it twenty more minutes then set off home. Back on the pier Myles fish weighed in at whopping 14lb 6ounces, 110cms long and with a girt of 40cms, she was a fine specimen. Kit held her over the side until she fully recovered and swam off in good shape. Well done to Myles on his specimen. We will return in a few weeks and hopefully have fishing as good.
Attachments
John O Connor was delighted with his few spurdogs mainly got on Mackerel. (Copy).JPG
John O Connor was delighted with his few spurdogs mainly got on Mackerel. (Copy).JPG (115.7 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
The 1st Spur of the day fell to Paul.JPG
The 1st Spur of the day fell to Paul.JPG (95.62 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Myles Howell - Specimen Spurdog 14lb 6oz, on LISIN (Copy).JPG
Myles Howell - Specimen Spurdog 14lb 6oz, on LISIN (Copy).JPG (95.55 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
CEng
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Re: SPURS & PLENTY OF BULLHUSS OFF WICKLOW

Postby donal murphy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:23 pm

lovely fat dog there, congrats... I'll have to book with kitt myself

How far offshore were you?
donal murphy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 55 times

Postby CEng » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 pm

I wouldn't be the best at judging distance but I'd say 5 to 6 miles.
CEng
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Etihad » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice Spurdog, well done, however I can't see why after weighing and a quick photograph it wasn't released at the side of the boat.
A lot of hassle, and unnecessary stress for the fish, to bring it ashore to weigh it just for a piece of paper.

For this message the author Etihad has received thanks:
davequirke@hotmail.com (Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm)
Etihad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby davequirke@hotmail.com » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Etihad wrote Nice Spurdog, well done, however I can't see why after weighing and a quick photograph it wasn't released at the side of the boat.
A lot of hassle, and unnecessary stress for the fish, to bring it ashore to weigh it just for a piece of paper.
i agree but its not every body that does the way i look at it if you know you got it is that not enough why the paper
if ya cant fish in heaven i dont wanna go!!!!!!!!!

For this message the author davequirke@hotmail.com has received thanks:
ShaneH (Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:24 pm)
davequirke@hotmail.com
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby mickeyfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Etihad wrote:Nice Spurdog, well done, however I can't see why after weighing and a quick photograph it wasn't released at the side of the boat.

I just have to say, i have fished on this boat and have seen how the skipper looks after his fish that he intends to bring to shore, if at any time the fish appears to be at risk, no matter what the size the fish is returned immediately,

Also just to let you know, that the skipper is proactively, tagging fish for the purpose of research and has the best interest of the fish at heart.

Although i do see your point, but is it not better to return a fish alive than unnecessarily take its life.

Regards

Mick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_9JmNRMI8
SPURFISHING IN THE ORKNEYS

DEFENCE FORCES S.A.C
CLUB SECRETARY EASTERN COMMAND S.A.C
EFSA IRELAND
WORLD BOAT TEAM IRELAND 2012 & 2013

For this message the author mickeyfish has received thanks: 2
bigsod (Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 pm), donal domeney (Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 pm)
mickeyfish
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby CEng » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Etihad,

If anglers want to claim specimen awards, that's entirely up to them, different strokes for different folks and all that. The skipper made and continues to make the process of keeping the fish alive as stress free for the fish as possible whilst at the same time satisfying his customers. Inland Fisheries Ireland value the information which specimen anglers provide each year. Maybe going forward I won't bother posting reports for fear that these might offend or should I edit them before I do?

Regards,

For this message the author CEng has received thanks: 3
agardiner22 (Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm), mickeyfish (Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:42 pm), mickm (Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm)
CEng
SAI Lug Worm

Postby davequirke@hotmail.com » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:18 pm

ceng i wasnt havein a go at you its the system what im not happy with the way its done now it should be caught and weighed and released why bring it to land
if ya cant fish in heaven i dont wanna go!!!!!!!!!

For this message the author davequirke@hotmail.com has received thanks:
Etihad (Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm)
davequirke@hotmail.com
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby donal domeney » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

jd wrote:.
No flaming, trolling , personal abuse or racist posts.
No selling of equipment (Try http://www.adverts.ie)
If you have a problem with a post, use the link to report it to the moderators
If you have a problem with the mods, PM them.
NO BACK SEAT MODERATING!
Remember the moderators give their time freely. Abuse them and you will get a ban.
If you still have a problem, post on the web development board.
If you disagree with angling as a sport, bring it elsewhere.
DO NOT encourage violence towards poachers etc.
Racism will not be tolerated.
Pictures of dead salmon/sea trout without tags may be removed from the site by mods/admins at their discretion.

Offensive posts will be deleted, and the user banned.

Note:
Catch and release debates and comments regarding C&R or otherwise are to be kept out of people's reports. If you have an issue with the legality etc of what someone posts, click the (!) button and let the mods deal with it.

Note:
This is an angling forum, not a cookery forum.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 3
jw (Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:36 pm), mickeyfish (Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 pm), samo (Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby henrykelly10 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Kit aims to please all' on his boat especially not so experience and takes great Pride in his job and also helping with advice' sound skipper,you's are going to hear lot more good fishing on this mans boat, would also like to say well done to the lads on a great days fishing :wink: well done Robbie :wink:

For this message the author henrykelly10 has received thanks: 2
agardiner22 (Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:15 pm), bigballs (Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm)
henrykelly10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby samo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:52 pm

spot on Henry couldnt agree more.
Wish list for 2015: sword tail, black Molly, horny cobbler
samo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby robbiemag » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Super fishin lads. Some crackers there. Was on the boat a few times this year. Great skipper and he looked after the lads wit me to make sure everyone got fish during the year. Will b defo bookin other trips on this boat. And the soup was out of this world too kit. Will hav the get that recipe off ye :lol:
robbiemag
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 11 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports