Bass Hunter, Youghal ( Ferrypoint), 9th August

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am

People: Me, Keelan & Leon ( my nephews)
Duration : 6 hours

Tide: Dropping

Weather: Brilliant
Bait: Feathers, mackerel, various lures ( Rapala Sliver, Toby, Slugo) Sidewinder

Results : Mackerel, Pollock, Dogfish, Bass

Results(b): Headed out of Ferrypoint at 10am. First stop Cable Island for some mackerel. Got the in 6’s. No sign of other fish so we motored East for about 4 miles onto mixed ground to try for cod with baited feathers. After 20 minutes without a tap we decided to try for ray on a beach that produces the painted variety. As there was little tide or wind started on the drift to avoid dogfish. Eventually went to anchor just off some round ground and Leon caught a big dogfish.
The lads were getting impatient and so it was time to try a different style of fishing. We trolled up along the rocks from Whiting Bay to Calaso Bay. Just as we entered the latter my Rapala Sliver was grabbed and I had a good fish on but lost it a few metres from the boat. My suspicion was good bass…c’est la vie. Then my lure got stuck in some kelp and went to the great Lure home in the sky. So I put up a Toby.

Just at the W side of Calaso Leon’s rod buckled and he was into a good Pollock.
Leon Youghal 9 Aug 2012.jpg

Within a minute my Toby was attacked and another good Pollock was boated. Then we hit the murky Blackwater water and I thought that this would end the catch rate. However, I had a few bangs that I missed and then a hook up with a good Pollock. The Keelan’s rod buckled and a strong fish fought all the way to the boat whereupon it went crazy . On seeing a Bass I ran for the net.
Keelan Youghal 9 Aug 2012 .jpg

We trolled in towards Ferrypoint and managed another few small Pollock.

Then it was home for mackerel from the BBQ . The lads love fish fingers and so the Pollock were filleted, skinned and bread-crumbed. After the meal lips were licked and bellies full from a self caught & cooked meal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bass Hunter, Youghal ( Ferrypoint), 9th August

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

Fair play and great report. The young lads looked to have enjoyed the trip. Is that the bass on the right hand of the lower pic?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 am

Great report mate,the colour water around the bay isn't great with all the rain were haven

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:39 pm

nice bass. what size?