Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 pm

People: Bait All, Rederic and pals.

Duration:9am-5pm

Tide:slack/flooding.

Weather very good

Bait:Mack/squid

Rigs:everything in our arsenal.

Results: About 50 fish

Report: Sunday 8th saw our crew gathered on the pier at Crosshaven, almost in disbelief at the weather conditions. Booking a charter at this time of year is hit and miss, but this time it was a hit. Having this opportunity, we headed out of the harbour and went South West to some fairly clean ground and went about drifting, however we were in slack tide and no wind so we weren't drifting at all. No fish were showing and all we were getting were light plucks at our bait so we moved off towards the Ling Rocks. Before we went to the peaks we had one more drift which brought a few Pollock and whiting but very slow fishing. we drifted the rocks and still it was hard work to tempt anything to take. moving off again we drifted two wrecks, the second one had a desire to decorate its superstructure with our rigs. And I was accused of conspiracy to deplete the tackle boxes of our crew, in a bid to get them shopping in our shop.
By this time the tide was strong and going to anchor was the only option, so we went to the Smiths and tried two location, but as everywhere else, it was slow going
we managed about 20 Pollock and the same amount of whiting, some were decent enough, some coalies, wrasse and a ling. Hanky from Fermoy had a lovely double figure coal-fish.
I realy must praise Alan Kennedy, our skipper, nothing was too much trouble, he tried for us all day and was very reasonable on price
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Charter Crosshaven last Sunday

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Good to be out all the same!
Surprising that ye didn't knock a few cod.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Yes Jim, A pure pleasure of a day, and I never take for granted just how lucky I am to be out there, regardless of the fishing. A few years ago, I was very sick after having a tumour removed. It was uncertain how things were going to turn out. And apart from my concerns for my family. My Thoughts would often be focused on will I ever feel the breeze, taste the salt and the tightness of my skin as the sun dried the brine on my face. So to me, every day at sea is special.
As for not catching any cod, it was very unusual aright. and there was nothing would temp them. Even the secret weapons were deployed to no effect. But that's fishing innit.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am

Now that's reason for appreciation! Fair play Fionn!
Might have a sniff around tomorrow myself :wink:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 pm

As Fion said it was good to be out there, the weather conditions were unreal for the time of the year. Yes the fishing was a little bit slow but I must agree with Fionn that the skipper did everything possible and treated us very well.