Jumbo Cod

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Re: Jumbo Cod

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Pat wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:
steyrman wrote:
Pat wrote:Alright then...here's another swallow. Caught last weekend by Cobh SAC angler, Martin Perryman.

thats fine pat but if you take into account the amount of time ,trips,and anglers that caught very little its nice to see decent cod caught there is a lot of anglers dont get them anyone going down to cork thinking there going to fill the cooler boxes with 10 lb plus cod will be in for a wake up call

couldnt agree more there steyrman. i spent a full day in and around cork harbour targeting these fish.
we tried all the 'hot spots' we had been told about - near the mouth, along the shore and offshore - and we fished hard all day.
a lot of people were promising decent cod and, if i can recall correctly, i think that we actually only caught ONE cod at about a pound. we were sorely dissappointed. :? :roll:
defo not that easy to get them as far as i can see :|
sorry Pat!

Charlie, I think you were unlucky. Good local knowledge is the key. The marks you were given may produce in general but when the fishing is slack you need someone with you to put you on a spot that will produce under tough conditions. I know you had a guide one day; no disrespect to the guy, but I don't think he has the knowledge I'm talking about.

yes, when we decided to pay for the guide then we thought that we were going to get someone with all that local knowledge! i.e. someone who was going to bust himself to get us one or 2 decent fish. i know the ins and outs of fishing, and how things can be tough at times, but we still got a very poor catch that day. the guide did try to some extent but we werent too impressed. a poor day :roll:
donal domeney wrote:You never asked me :oops: :shock:
The amount of quality cod that was around cork harbour this year was unbelievable.
Fish up to 3lb weight were often taken off the hook before they got into the boat and put back because they were taking up space.
Catching 30 cod over 3lb in a day out was the norm.
To be honest it became very boring

i wonder if i/we could take you out next time Donal!......... :D 8)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Pat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Donie Geary, skipper of the John Boy, is targeting the cod specifically this winter. If you are interested, there are more details here http://corkharbouranglinghub.blogspot.c ... shing.html.
Why not join Cobh SAC - looking for new members....
http://www.cobhsac.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobhsac
Pat
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby Big Bass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Well done lads,It brings a great deal of joy to me to see cod of that calliber around the irish coast again,long may it last.
Species 2011: Bass,Cod,Pollock,Mackerel,Flounder,Dogs,Huss,Whiting,Coalie,Plaice
Big Bass
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby zeebass » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 pm

sum cod OMG im loving it
zeebass
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby dexs7 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 am

Lovely fish, well done, this is why Ireland has some of the best fishing in the world
The finest gift you can give a fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

2016 Bass, Flounder, Turbot, Dogfish, Pollock,Mackerel, Bull Huss, Coal Fish

2013 8

2012 (8) Bass (P.B 7.5 lb)

2011 (17)

2010 (14)
dexs7
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Cod almighty,,,,,,beautiful fish,,well done