clare dragoon, carrigaholt, 24/9/11

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:04 pm

People: tommy, brendan and jw

Duration: 900-1700

Tide: neap

Weather: big messy sea running off west coast from equinoxial gales, SW 15-20 knots

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: wire

Results: mackerel, herring, pollack, whiting, haddock, red and grey gurnards, blue and porbeagle sharks

Report: the first herring of the autumn has shown up at loop head, joey and regular mackerel plentyful at loop
head if you can get near it, and scattered up the estuary as far as the battery.

water temp down to 13.5 deg out to sea, but this fine blue shark took one of the baits 15 min after we put them out.

im convinced there are porbeagles around this time of year as one sometimes gets big powerful runs followed by
200lb wire being bitten clean through, i always use 500lb now. Pugnacious little chap chased us
round the deck a couple of times before we could get hold of him and put the tag in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: clare dragoon, carrigaholt, 24/9/11

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:33 pm

super results again jw 8) you must nearly own that boat at this stage :lol: i havent been out in 6 weeks hopfully there is a bit of weather due next week im planning on hitting kilmore .

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Any more pics of the porbeagle Jw, espically the mouth or tail, juvinile porbeagles and juvinile shortfin Mako's are very very similar ?

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 pm

interesting dave, i must google that now and see, here is a pic of its tail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

http://newenglandsharks.com/Page4Lamnidaefamily.html

looking here it definately has a distinctive white patch at rear of dorsal

not sure what they mean by secondary keel on tail

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Was off Helvic head myself that same day , finally hit into some plentiful mackeral but the fishing in general was very very poor. Plenty mackeral , only three(3) pollack , three congers (two of which were 9pound+ and one roughly 15pound+) one cod 4.5pounds. rough seas didn't help but there was 8 of us on board and it was a poor show. Connie the skipper normally cooks up some white fish on board the ones we catch but it was so rough that was knocked on the head.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 am

Nice wee porgie keep at them the bigger ones should be about
and when you hook one the fun will begin, I can recommend it 100%
its total addictive :D

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 pm

G'day,

The 'secondary keel' looks like a small lateral wing or vane at the base of the tail - see picture here:

http://www.marinebiodiversity.ca/shark/english/porbeagle.htm

Nice fishing JW - I'd like to hook one of those porbeagles...!

Pajo