2011 Rosies SAC Annual Tow Away Results

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

2011 Rosies SAC Annual Tow Away Results

Postby Predator » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Competition No 7 & 8 - Annual Tow Away Report 20th & 21st August 2011 Cahersiveen
It was our clubs annual pilgrimage a trip to Cahersiveen boats and trailers checked in readiness for the early morning departure meeting area Lakeview Garage Midleton 05.45 am Saturday. Donal Domeney and Apollo arrived on the friday night in Cahersiveen looking for fresh mackerel but after an hour and a half there was none to be had.
A good journey to Cahersiveen roads were quiet as expected arrived at The San Antoine B&B where as usual Alan had prepared a full Irish breakfast.
It was then time to fuel the boats and launch in Cahersiveen marina where the boats would remain on the pontoons for the two days. It is not worth retrieving the boats due to the very reasonably berthing fees of €2.50 per metre per night. A big atlantic swell was expected outside of the harbour with fresh southerly winds.
We left the marina at 10am and made our way to the lighthouse to evaluate the sea state after a brief chat the lads were happy so no restrictions had to be made and everyone back to the marina for 6 pm. Mackerel were very elusive to start with but everyone eventually got into some.
Fishing was tough and the sea conditions didnt help matters, most of the lads usual marks were not fishing but this didn't deter the competitive anglers from searching out the fish, last years winners Apollo Skipper Donal Domeney and Ray Donnelly managed to stamp their authority on this years festival by winning day one with 14 species, with Screaming Reels in 2nd with 12 species. Day 2 the weather wasn't much better wind had become NW the sea was still very snotty but no restrictions Apollo managing to pull up doublers of thornies on the drift texting the pics to the other skippers.
It was back to the marina for the weigh in Screaming Reels had won day 2 with 12 species. The final results and presentation were in Number 5 Bistro where Elaine & Barry Wallace the owners looked after us with a first class service and food same as last year.
Results
Best Cod 2.15kg Shock Waves
Best Ling 6.35kg Apollo
Best Pollack 3.19kg Shock Waves
Best Pout 0.88kg Predator II
Best Whiting 0.33kg Apollo
Heaviest Flat Plaice 0.52kg Off Da Hook
Heaviest Rund Ling 6.35kg Apollo

Placings
1st 17 x species 23.96kg Apollo
2nd 16 x species 16.05kg Screaming Reels
3rd 14 x species 14.80kg Predator II
4th 14 x species 14.43kg Off Da Hook
5th 11 x species 10.34kg Shock Waves

Congratulations to the 2011 Winners and still holders of the Rosies SAC Annual Tow Away Trophy Apollo Skippered by Donal Domeney and crewed by Ray Donnelly, he has done the double can he do the treble ?

Further details can be found on the club website:
https://sites.google.com/site/rosiesseaangling/home
Predator
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: 2011 Rosies SAC Annual Tow Away Results

Postby donal domeney » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Vessel:Apollo, the smallest boat in the fleet

Crew: Doanl and Ray aka Dusty

Duration: Friday-Sunday took the boat out of the water on Monday

Tide: Mostly on the ebb

Weather: Rubbish

Bait: Lug, Crab, Maddies, King rag, White wrigglers, Frozen Razor and Frozen Mackerel with fresh mackerel added later in day on Saturday

Rigs: A boat full of them

Results: going for the hat-trick of wins next year

Report:
A bit of research in the days leading up to the comp showed that the mackerel were going to be hard to get.

The week started on Tuesday with a trip to dig about a 100 king rag, Wednesday was down to the tyres for the crab and Thursday ended the bait collecting with a trip for the lug (150), maddies (200) and wrigglers (40). In total about 150 miles travelled and 3 half days out of work.

Any who thinks fishing is fun would want to read that bit again.

Picked up the boat on Friday morning a stop off at home to load up all the gear and it was on the road, bog roads, to Kerry.
Arrived at the marina about 18:00 and booked in the boat for 3 nights, €37.50 was ok for the pleasure of been able to walk on and off the boat each day. One added note, the water pressure on the marina was the best I’ve ever seen. It cut through the fish guts in no time even when flushing the engine the water was been pushed about 6’ out of the “pisser”

After getting a bit of grub I headed out to try and pick up some fresh mackerel.
An hour and a half of fishing only turned up pollack and coalfish. This was not looking good for the weekend. :x :shock:

Headed back in and it was off to the pub. The Anchor Bar is always worth a call and a chat with George and Ger tipped me off where the mackerel were hiding :D :D

It was back to the Mitsubishi B&B to make the plans for the next day.

Day 1:
Up bright and early on Saturday morning to be welcomed by a nice fresh breeze.
As the boats arrived I set about the first plan winding up the opposition and try to put them out of the game :) :) . There was one or two of the lads taking the bait quicker than a seagull. :lol: :lol:

Off at 10:00 and we all headed to the lighthouse where a weather call would be made.
As Apollo is the smallest boat in the fleet I get to call the fishing area and impose any restriction in the event of poor weather.
With a bit of banter on the radio :wink: :wink: we headed out in to open water, sensibility is not one of my finer points when it comes to fishing. :shock: :shock:
A stop or two for mackerel ended with a zero result so it was off to the pouting mark which produced a pout within minutes and a bonus whiting which won the heaviest whiting pot. Staying with the drift we picked up ling, pollack, cuckoo wrasse, haddock and cod.
The next two moves took over an hour of the fishing time added nothing to the list, the pressure was on.
The next move was the making of the day with 4 species coming on board within minute’s ballan, coalfish, scad and mackerel. On the move again we stopped off at a small reef where we added a bigger pollock for the scales and a poor cod.
The next stop was for greys and reds from a piece of ground that always produced them none were to be found to add to that worry no grey or red gurnard were returned to the scales over the two days. Add two more here a dab and a thornback. With time pushing on and a big sea to head into we made our way back to port. Having made good time we tried a drift in a sheltered piece of water but added nothing new.
Back at the marina we were happy to find us ahead with 14 species
A quick repair to a broken wire to the radio and it was off for grub and a pint or two……. :roll: :roll:

Day 2:
We headed to a mark that could produce a few species and hopefully add 2 or 3 to the list.
Added only a dogfish from here but had a lovely bit of fishing in here on the drift.
Heading to a reef for conger and huss the fish finder went dead got to the mark and had to carry out another running repair. Got the anchor and feed bag over the side. Within minutes Rays rod was on the on the move. Over comes a large ling 6.35kg a nice bit of weight to top up on. Stayed there for over an hour but failed to get the conger or huss.
The pressure was now on 13:30 and only I added to the list.
Heading back in the bay disaster strikes again with the GPS now gone a quick look show nothing up so out with the backup garmin GPS60 and we were on the way again. When we got there the final piece of the electronics, the bilge pump, was gone on the blink. This was all down to the hard driving the day before and cables left hanging loose in the consol. While Ray tried for the greys and reds I spent the time bailing out the boat. To add to the woes a bucket of mouldy lug and water ended on my head. :oops: :oops:
I had enough of this and the only option was to ignore all and get back fishing. Having to wade our way through trebles of dabs doubles of thornbacks and plenty of undersize greys no reds were to be found. This was a lost cause so we move further along the bay this got us a plaice just on the 30cm mark so back up the track this time got a plaice of 32cm and the mood on board got a good boost. Now on 16 species second place was looking good. Back to the red gurnard mark only this time we left the drift go a bit longer this proved the a good plan as we added a spotted ray number 17. Tried another few spots around the same area to get a grey or red gurnard but failed in a major way. Headed for Cahersiveen at 17:05 happy to get the second place spot.
Back on the marina Ray took the fish to the scales while I done a running repair on the bilge pump and washed down the boat. Ray came back with the news that we had won with 17 species. Now if there is one thing I learned about anglers is only believe in what you see yourself. 8) 8)
Back up at the jeep things were staring to look good :) :) :)

A cracking weekend, well done to crew man Ray who never stopped trying to Tony and Sue for putting the package together, the other crews who made us work hard to get the win, Alan in the San Antoine B&B for putting up with us, George and Ger in The Anchor Bar for their tips and finally to Elaine & Barry Wallace the owners in Number 5 Bistro for looked after us with a first class service and meal

The Dominator rules.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Beelo (Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby JimC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice report Donal :D :D
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby steyrman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Vessel:off da hook

Crew:me tony

Duration:saturday & sunday

Tide:ripping good swells

Weather: overcast

Bait:everything

Rigs:2 up flowing traces

Results: we fished the tow away weekend along with 4 other boats screeming reels, apollo ,pretator 11 ,shockwaves trip down from cork to cahersiveen in parts would shake the crap out of you and the trailers tough on man or beast.we arrived for breakfast around 8.30 am saturday good crack from the start we launched 9.20i had done a few jobs on the trailer lowered it the boat on it by 11 inchs over all sliped into the water easy sorted . had a quick chat with whiteshark at the slip everyone launched quick radio check and we were off good lash out at 38 knots at one stage we were greeted by big swells white water lashing of the rocks sounds of thunder echo everywhere fish drop pollock and macs we moved a lot during the day had dubby out one rod out for a gar tonys reel started to scream i looked back seen something flaping in the slick wtf is that tony reeled in and i neted it a sunfish hooked under the chin quick radio check to see what to do in the end it did not count we had a a talk about it after dinner it was to be a committee ruling but donal dom made the ruling well i let him on a rant and asked him was he on the committee it got a bit of a laugh no harm done 9 species for day one in size 4 more did not make the limit we had a decent plaice of 38 cm
day 2
not much sleep for me a tony decided to try to snore and whistle at the same time arther arrived up before 5 am had the same problem with eddie of shockwaves breakfast 8 am nice job alan we were well looked after in his b&b . we went down to the marina just walked on to the boat there is a lot to be said for it boat ready to fish in 5 mins undone ropes and we were off same as day one out for 10 back in for 6 we dedided to try for scad and coalies we had them first 3 drops quick move tryed for ling with no luck all day good spin and we were back in ballans ,thornback, lsd, we had 5 new species for the day a lot of trying marks few haddock along with cod to 4 to 5 lb tackle losses were high well on tonys side about 10 lb of leads as hard as we tryed we could not get our ling or whiting or grey gurnards tryed the last 30 mins for conger no luck just plenty of ballans and coalies with a few pollock i knew we did not do good 14 species over all in 2 days was not going to cut it we finished 4 place the same as predator 11 but the had better weight we had a good meal on sunday night and good laugh everyone enjoyed it looking forward to going down again well done to apollo on his win and to tony and sue for putting the weekend together
Attachments
phpMFAsTlAM.jpg
phpMFAsTlAM.jpg (53.53 KiB) Viewed 601 times
312871_10150297318364329_784364328_7473213_7690253_n.jpg
312871_10150297318364329_784364328_7473213_7690253_n.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 601 times
php32fY9dAM.jpg
php32fY9dAM.jpg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 601 times
php7N8pjcAM.jpg
php7N8pjcAM.jpg (52.17 KiB) Viewed 600 times
steyrman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby dangler » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi I have just noticed that the moderator has removed three posts from this thread regarding the weigh ins. Can I ask why?? I thought steyrman gave a good response to the issue and I thank him for making things a bit clearer but I cant understand why the moderator feels the right to remove posts which they don't like. I was under the impression that this was a members forum?
dangler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby dangler » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Just came across the posts in another section I thought they had been deleted my bad :oops:
dangler
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby alby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Well done Donal, the dominator rules again!!
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby razor2 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:49 pm

good report and great read good stuff donal 8)
razor2
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 196 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports