Duration:9am until 4pm

Tide:Slack water about 12

Weather:Overcast with a couple of small showers

Bait:Mackerel

Rigs Feathers, Hoikoi, Pirk, various others

[b]Results
:Mackerel, Cod, Pollock, L S Dogfish, Red Gurnard

Report:
Heavy swell didn't leave it the most comfortable trip at times but the abundance of good fish more than made up for it. Everybody went home happy which is a great result in itself. The Mackerel have arrived bigtime leaving it difficult to get a bait to the bottom without it being grabbed on the way down. Full houses on the feathers every time [up to 7] which was great fun for the novices. Cod up to 9 LB, Pollock to 8 LB, 6 Dogfish and a nice sized Red Gurnard. Great fishing in shelter of the Slieve League cliffs and another great days fishing.
Species 2011: Mackerel, Sandeel, Cod, Coley, Pouting, Ling, Pollock, Cuckoo Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Poor Cod.

Species 2012: Mackerel, Pollock, Coley, Pouting
stox 1
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Re: Killybegs and Donegal Bay

Postby hugo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Nice size cod. Seem to be more of them around Donegal Bay this year. Water temps maybe.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby Sully boy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Id like to see some photo's because I have fished out of Killybegs many times and find it the worst venue in the country when the weather is bad :x , wait till after the masters this weekend and you will see what I mean, I predict 1 or 2 fish will win a boat!!! Watch this space...
Sully boy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby gavind19 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 pm

ya should have been out last week when, fishing was brilliant, loads of pollock, ling and cod up to 12lbs. great fishing and great craic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
gavind19
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby stox 1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Sorry Sullyboy.....no pics this time, Nothing out of the ordinary from previous trips. If you look down through the Boat Angling Reports you will find topics ''Dunai Mara Killybegs'' from our June trip which was a far from calm sea with showers, and ''Donegal Bay 23/07 2011, Dunai Mara'' which was on a beautiful calm day. Both these topics have a few photos attached of Cod and Pollock. Fishing has been 1st class on all of our trips to Donegal this year regardless of weather conditions and hopefully it continues this way. Can't wait to get back out there next month again!
Species 2011: Mackerel, Sandeel, Cod, Coley, Pouting, Ling, Pollock, Cuckoo Wrasse, Red Gurnard, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Poor Cod.

Species 2012: Mackerel, Pollock, Coley, Pouting
stox 1
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Sully boy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Just as I predicted 10 tens ago, I along with the rest of the country's top anglers fished Killybegs for the 3rd time in the last 4 years to find the fishing as dreaful as always, through out the weekend I lost 47 traces and had shocking fishing, I averaged around 13 fish per session and still finished in the top 20, How I would love to see the photos of 9/10 pound Cod and big pollock and Gurnard! for me and every other angler I talked to over the weekend Killybegs is the worst venue there is!!!!
Sully boy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby PaddyB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Sully boy wrote:Just as I predicted 10 tens ago, I along with the rest of the country's top anglers fished Killybegs for the 3rd time in the last 4 years to find the fishing as dreaful as always, through out the weekend I lost 47 traces and had shocking fishing, I averaged around 13 fish per session and still finished in the top 20, How I would love to see the photos of 9/10 pound Cod and big pollock and Gurnard! for me and every other angler I talked to over the weekend Killybegs is the worst venue there is!!!!

Hi sully, I also fished the MA at the weekend, and finished 20th, although I would far from consider myself one of the countries top anglers, I thought the fishing was pretty decent. No big fish but then again I wasn't targeting them?
The problem in Ulster is that Killybegs is probably the only port that could muster up enough charters to cope with the volume of anglers. Mind you if the numbers keep dwindling the way they are, a few of the other ports will soon be able to come into contention.

For this message the author PaddyB has received thanks:
gavind19 (Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 pm)
PaddyB
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 29 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports