People: Me and my dad

Duration: 3-6pm

Tide: High tide 6:30pm

Weather: Windy but low swell

Bait: Mack

Rigs: Feathers, hokkai, 2 hook flappers

Results: Thornback ray, 40+ mack!

Report:

Headed out for a quick session with my dad, the maiden outing for my new boating gear - Daiwa Kenzaki 6-12lb with a tiny Abu Revo SX and a Daiwa Kenzaki 12-20lb with a Daiwa Slosh 20, both loaded with braid.

Dropped some hokkais and feathers just off Horn Head and straight away the mack were all over them, landed over 40 of them in the first half hour it was totally hectic with blood and crap and flapping fish everywhere, put most of them back and kept the best half dozen for dinner and a couple for bait.

Headed round the corner to Skate Bay and swapped over to a pair of flapper rigs and put them down on the sand with fresh mackerel strips. Straight away the little 6-12lb rod went and I struck into a good fish, at first I thought I had caught bottom as the tiny rod was bent over double but then I felt the fish and it started taking a little line, fish on :mrgreen: As this was my first time fishing the rod I hadn't a clue what size of fish I had hooked, but the rod was bent double and it felt like a monster, definitely no mack! At first it put up a decent scrap but then when I got it winched into mid water the fight went a bit flat and as it got to the surface I got my first glance of my first ever thornback :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Got him landed and unhooked safely, male fish with big claspers, admired him and took some photos before popping him back to fight another day. Total guess but I would say he was approx 4lb.

Photos:

Re: Lady Jane, Portnablagh, 12-08-11

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Back out again today, 12:30-5pm, caught another good few mack plus a pollack, dab, tub gurnard and a spotted ray which is a first for me :mrgreen: