Maighdean Mhara, Spiddal 24.07.11

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:27 pm

People: Crew of 12

Duration: 08:30-18:30

Tide: HT @12:20 3.7m

Weather: Misty in the morning, Clear in the afternoon wind WSW 12kmph

Bait: Mackerel, Launce, Lug, Squid

Rigs: Feathers, Gilling, Booms, Speaders and soft plastics etc

Results: Pollack, Ling, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Pouting, Poor Cod, Mackerel, Dogfish, Coalfish, Whiting, Launce, Cod.

Report: I got a txt of Kevin MacGabhan skipper if the Maighdean Mhara out of Spiddal, to say he had a spare seat for a days charter fishing. I hadn't been out with Kevin in a while so the trip was over due. We set off in misty conditions with visibility poor enough but as the forecast predicted it cleared away into a bright enough day. Fishing was constant all day with good sized Pollack falling to soft plastics jinked along the bottom using light spinning rods teamed with braid and 4000 sized reels, in varying depths from 13m - 54m best was just shy of 9lbs with several fish between 6lbs-8lbs. Gilling was producing very good pouts to 3lbs and Cod to 6lbs. A few ling made an appearance along with Ballan Wrasse and a Cuckoo. We had 13 species on the day and Kevin as always kept busy ensuring we were on fish and mixed up the fishing nicely producing a flood of different species one of which eludes me at the time of writing.

If you fancy sampling some crash diving Pollack to double figures on light spinning rods fishing lures, or indeed a good mix of species and varied fishing over different ground using several techniques give Kevin MacGabhan of Galway Bay Fishing a call on: 0868547890
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Maighdean Mhara, Spiddal 24.07.11

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Nice lumps of fish there, sure to put a good bend in any spinning rod 8)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

Very impressive fishing, really like the super fat pouting (I think thats what it is?) and the cuckoo wrasse is lovely.

Good fishing,

Cathal.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 am

Lovely pollack there lads. Well done. Beer batter was the first thing that popped into my head when i saw the photos. I know that's not very conservation minded but they're a tasty fish. Hook em and cook em :twisted:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

lovely stuff lads, good sized pollack there, well done

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 am

great mix of decent fish there man :P if that male cuckoo wrasse is on the top of a tackle box lid it must surely be of specimen weight :D :D