People: Me, my mum and a good mate

Duration: 5hrs

Tide: Ebbing

Weather: 10-15 N

Bait: Fresh mack and rag

Rigs: Long flowing pennels, sonar spoons and spinners

Results: Pollock, Coalies, Plaice, LSD, Bull Huss, Cod, Mackerel, Launce

Report:

Decided to try and cover a lot of ground this trip so we set up for a long drift over various bottom types from maerl, patchy ground and mud. Thankfully we got stocked up on mackerel early on our first drift of the day :shock: :D :D Although they were very small, anyone else find them small this year? Anyway they made perfect joey flappers and we quickly picked up codling, pollock, LSD's and a single bullhuss. Best fish of the day was a nice 7.5lb cod - our first decent cod of the year so far. The wind picked up a bit though so we headed close in shore to spin along the rocks. Picked up some nice pollock to about 4-5lb bracket. Awesome fun on the shimano travel rod! By this point the wind was pushing the drift to hard so we headed in and drifted the bay for flatties. Only had about two drifts of time left but we managed two nice plaice on the sonar spoons, really lovely sport in the clear water too. A very nice end to a very nice day :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Red Bay - 11.06.11

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 pm

well done kenny hope to get out more this year myself nice to see the cod back.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:54 pm

great result there Kenny, lovely cod and plaice.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:25 am

a whopper cod great stuff 8)

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:01 am

Great cod and plaice, well done, nice pictures.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 am

thats a very decent session out of Red Bay SlackLiner.
nice cod! - the best cod i could muster last year was 2.5lb over about 5 trips..
and nice pollack and plaice too. good effort

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:10 pm

nice fishing! just need cod that size to hit the shoreline around here soon!!!
havent seen you folks in years, last time was probably at the shop!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated!

Yeah the cod have been slow the past few years. We used to get them regularly into the teens down this way and the biggest went to 26lb about three years past. All on broken ground and not over wrecks which makes it even sweeter :) They're following the launce that come in this time of year. But, as with everything, they're getting smaller and fewer in number. Sad times :(