Kinsale harbour 21/04/2011

Postby partylikeits1969 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 am

People: 1 rod for 6 people

Duration: 1 hour

Tide: Low water

Weather: Beautiful

Bait: Shads/jelly worms

Results: Cod and pollack

Report: I was invited out on a friends boat because he wanted to learn the basics of angling.
With the weather being so nice, it wasn't hard to find a few extra tag-alongs who wanted to come out to enjoy the sunshine... this turned out to be a terrible mistake.
We took a slow, meandering tour of the harbour and countryside out to the Old Head for the benefit of my missus who had never been to Kinsale before.

I started the fishing off with Sabikis to see if there were any mackerel around.
After 5 minutes with only small pollack filling the hooks, I switched to a jelly worm on a flying collar rig.
First drop with the jelly worm, 4 turns from the bottom and the light 12/20lb rod doubled over.
After a fun little scrap we have a 4lb codling in the boat.

The rest of the crew were getting restless at this stage as they had been drinking since we left the marina.
"Can I have a go?" is all I heard for the next 10 minutes.
I managed to land another codling around 3lb and a couple of strong pollack no bigger than 4lb before I gave my rod to the first would be angler... :evil:

Have you ever tried to untangle a birstnest of 15lb braid?? I can tell you from personal experience that it's not easy.
Most difficult thing for my drunken crew to understand was controling the spool on the drop to the bottom! Tangle after tangle, lost trace after lost trace.

Eventually the rod is passed to my lady who showed the boys how it's done. Second drop she struck into the biggest of the day which hit the worm and raced for the bottom. 3 times up to the boat and back to the bottom before a healthy 8lb pollack rolled next to the boat and I could lift him onboard.

I was itching to get my hands back on the rod but the last person to try was the very guy who invited me in the first place.
First drop, birdsnest, trace lost. Game Over.

After just one hour of fishing the drunken mob wanted food and more beer.
Reluctantly I agreed and we heading to the Speckled Door for pints and munch :D
A crap fishing trip for me, beautiful day to be on the water all the same
Resized fish.jpg
8lb pollack
Resized fish.jpg (133.95 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
William Shakespeare....ish
partylikeits1969
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Kinsale harbour 21/04/2011

Postby flyno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Still not bad going partylikeits1969, apart from the lost gear thats still some fish in the picture... I lived in the building over your missus left shoulder for 3 years (shearwater appartments), so your picture reminds me how good the fishing is in that part of the country and kinsale has to be one of the nicest places in the country.. Travel from Kinsale to skibbereen and there are numerous hotspots along the way and also from kinsale northwards towards Youghal detouring through cobh.. Fishing heaven.... 8)
flyno
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 63 times

Re: Kinsale harbour 21/04/2011

Postby Donnyboy1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Lovely pollock!!
Donnyboy1
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 68 times

Kinsale harbour 21/04/2011

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I was thinking the same Donny, but that jersey was making my eyes water :)
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports