Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Vessel: off da hook

Crew:myself brian

Duration: 8 till 6

Tide:all states

Weather: cold,but dry but cold

Bait:rag, squid, mac, sandeel

Rigs:long flowing traces

Results:[code][/code] well 14 species , macs, ballan wrasse,pollock,codling,whiting hake ,turbot,sole,octopuss, poorcod ,cuckoo wrasse coalies,bass

started out at 5 am from home -5 but roads clear i had being given some marks to try and conditions were the best of the week arrived in helvic 3 hours later the slip was a bit slippy but the landcruiser managed fine .All the gear loaded kettle water hot cups tea sugar milk and sambos food sorted ran the outboard for 10 mins no problems all elecs fired up new plotter fishfinder and vhf we steamed out to the first mark 190 ft of water picked up a few codling and whiting in good sizes.We changed to flowing traces with different baits brian was first in not sure of the bite i left my rig on the bottom went for a look bottom hook hada fish i grabbed the net a nice hake that warmed me up bit of a dance on deck my rod got a good tap feed line and lifted landed a ballan and a cuckoo brian landed a good whiting and codling we moved over the drift again but just codling and wrasse .We moved again to a mark i had being given flowing traces out slow drift few pollock and whiting comming up i got a good rattle feed the line still a good bang lifted into the fish good tump of this fish felt like a decent codling reeling in waiting for the shock leader looking the hole time i let a roar get the fing net turbot on brian lifted the net a cracker of a turbot 2lb 4 oz i was shaking a bit we looked at each other put the kettle on 2 hot cups later we stayed in the area tide was slow we decided to move few drifts around piced up 4 fresh macs i was hard on the bottom got a poorcod and octopuss few moves getting near the time i had planned for the last move witha bit of inside info we set up at anchor for sole baits down kettle on again i was uptiding one rod had 2 small bass in the first 40 mins we also landed a few coalies and pin whiting had decent baits fresh rag and squid tipped but we were missing bits i got a good rattle left it and left it got feed up reeled it in funny bite not deepwater brian had the net i did not say a word just slow reeling seen the flash of white i taught it was a ray then i seen it a sole and a good one brian sliped the net under it and lifted it on board on the ground i got the hook out what a lovely fish it weighted 1 lb 6 oz when i got it home and im having tomorrow for my tea cant wait for it we put up with artic conditions fishing but i would do it all over again better road conditions comming home were we had a good stew i looked inn the fridge about ten times last night just to see the sole good days fishing fair play to brian for sticking it out one stage he was going to try and walk on water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: helvic delights 21/12/2010

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Top stuff Willie 8) Well done on the 14 different species and Hake and sole in partricular.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Well done lads!
Water temps are still not bad.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Impressive variety of fish there, nice flatties. Very well done.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Fair play that's a great day out....

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Good Fishing as always willie,

Happy xmas and Tight Lines for 2011!

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:04 am

gd wrote:Good Fishing as always willie,

Happy xmas and Tight Lines for 2011!

thanks ger looking forward already have a good one your self

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 am

great trip. well done

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:28 am

Some beautiful fish - Well done.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:28 am

Some beautiful fish - Well done.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:04 pm

top shelf willie.... nice one.......

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:54 pm

8) pure class fishing there Willie, not a bit jealous :wink: wish all of you a very Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year, and plenty of bends in the rods throughout 2011!

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:38 pm

jayus willie are you practicing for the deadlest catch :lol: bearing sea here we come :lol: fair play to you lads hard to knock it with those sort of returns :mrgreen: iv a huge case of cabin fever that will have to be sorted when the white stuff has gone. well done on venturing out .and a very happy chrristmas and a prosperous new year to you and yours willie.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:39 pm

thanks lads still a few days left in this season :lol: :lol:

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 am

love this report.well done but it wud be a dream of mine to catch a sole an apperently u can get them from the shore too

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 am

fine fishing well done 8)

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Hardy bucks ye are surely!

When I lived next to Helvic we were often out in January if the weather was mild, but stayed close in under the cliffs and it was mostly small pollock/codling/wrasse etc, never heard of a sole. Were ye down Minehead direction, or straight out from the bay?