Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 pm

People: Me Fishyfingers and Bro

Duration: 10:00

Tide: Can't remember

Weather: Strong Easterly,Overcast, Dry

Bait: Lug, Mac.

Rigs: Muppets,Hoakais and Jelly Worms

Results: About 40 fish each

Report: Looked forward to this for while, but couldn't sail out of Red bay because of the winds,so we had to launch from Ballycastle, which was a pleasant change. Although we were stuck inshore, I new this coastline would produce results. 5 mins out and the first rigs were out. Most of the guys started with baited feathers and traces, but I decided to put out the flowing ledger with the Jelly worm, and a nice long strip of mac. It paid dividends for I had the first fish to the boat. A nice Coalie of about 3lb. Soon some reasonable fish started to come to the rest of the guys. As the wind strengthened around the headland, the boat turned on the tide, and as I was winding in my jellyworm nice and slowly, the first big Pollack,took hold and dived for the kelp, stripping line as it went. Fantastic sport on a 12lb boat rod! :lol:

My biggest.jpg

I had another couple in that spot, and the boys were regulary now picking up fish. We then moved a bit closer back towards Ballycastle as the wind was whipping up those big waves around the headland, anchoring up, the sport continued, and everyone continued to have a reasonable stamp of fish, 4lbers being the average take, between Pollack and Coalies.

Kev's Pollack.jpg

Getting hungry I changed to a set of large muppets and was happy to let them bounce off the bottom while I had my sandwich, but the action didn't stop, I had changed over to my 20lb class rod which continued to buckle over as the big Pollack took the lug and mac attached and dived for the kelp.

My Pollack.jpg

We finished the day off,closer to port,where the Coalies and the odd Pollack came fast and furious, for the last quarter, although a good deal smaller in average size there was still the odd good sized fish towards the end.

Bren's Pollack.jpg

A great day out ,the 5 of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, even though the Cod didn't show, but tremendous sport was had all the same! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ballycastle 20/11/10

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:06 pm

WE FISHED WITH HAMISH ON SUNDAY MUCH THE SAME RESULTS BIGGEST POLLOCK WAS 8LB AND I CAUGHT A 4LB BALLAN WRASSE GREAT SKIPPER ALWAYS PUTS US ON FISH

Re: Ballycastle 20/11/10

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:27 pm

nice bit of fish, not many boats out there form now on

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:25 am

Not a bad haul of pollack and coalies, pity the skipper didn't put you on the huss, spurs, skate that are all available out of ballycastle. Maybe worth trying Shaun Mckay on lady linda next time, he knows the area like the back of his hand.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Ronald wrote:Not a bad haul of pollack and coalies, pity the skipper didn't put you on the huss, spurs, skate that are all available out of ballycastle. Maybe worth trying Shaun Mckay on lady linda next time, he knows the area like the back of his hand.

Yeah I'm sure he would have, if the Easterlies hadn't been so strong,that's why we launched out of Ballycastle. Been out with Sean a couple of times, agreed a good skipper as well, but it was very difficult on Saturday!

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm glad the wind killed off the fishing on Sat, I don't think I could have coped with any more than 40 fish!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Kudos guys for braving the weather. Some great fish and happy anglers there. That's what it's all about.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 am

nice one lads. that stretch of coast fishes well. even when you can't get out on open water there is always good alternatives readily available close to shore :P :P well done

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

lifejackets lads :!: :!: :!: :!:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:22 pm

joyster wrote:lifejackets lads :!: :!: :!: :!:

They were on a charter boat in the northern ireland and so don't have to wear a lifejacket. It is up to the angler if he wants to wear one. Check through all he other reports on here and see how many people wear life jackets.....

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm

joyster wrote:
lifejackets lads i think hes right you said it was a bit messy out there weather or not you were up north still think you should have had them on :shock: :shock: :shock: