freezer day out cork 24/11/10

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:14 pm

People:siert, myself

Duration:8 hours

Tide:ebb to flood spring

Weather:Overcast, wind n/w 1-3

Bait:crab, rag, squid, mack, razor

Rigs:feathers, gilling rig, my special whiting rig

Results:11 species, cod to 9lbs, whiting to 2.7lbs, haddock to 4lbs, pollock to 10lbs, ling to 12lbs, coalfish, red and grey gurnards, lsd, poor cod,pouting

Report:
Hi
Well, thank goodness we didn’t listen to the met eireann forecast for a small boats warning to force six of the south coast, and as a result we had a cracking days fishing off cork.
Arrived at the slip at 8am, to be greeted by a bitter n/w breeze, welcome to winter, seems autumn got skipped this year. After donning the winter woollies we headed off with siert doubtful that we would see outside the harbour, ( oh yea of little faith!)
We had a token drop near the oil terminal for some macks, and this proved fruitless, perhaps due to the water temp being 5deg. Brrrrr
Fortunately we had prepared for that and had plenty of bait, and we headed offshore, as we passed roches point, I could see siert starting to smile as the sea was flat, and so it stayed all the way out, some force 6.
We headed straight for a reef so siert could get his Pollock fix, and we were not disappointed , some super fishing on the gill with plenty of good fish to 10lbs, plus a bonus few ling to 12lb , pouting also grabbed the jelly worms, but no speci this time! When my arms started to get sore I suggested a move, and we headed for clean ground.
Even with very little wind the drift was 1.5-2.0kts which made for some difficult fishing but we were still getting a good mix of fish with codling , whiting, red and grey gurnard coming to the boat, it was then I suggested something radical, ( well radical for us) lets anchor for a change and by god I am glad we did.
Some cracking whiting were soon to put in an appearance, then a nice haddock of 4lbs to siert, who also picked up a cracking whiting of 2.7lbs, just shy of a speci. It was at that point I decided to get out the special big whiting rig , 60lb mono snoods, 8/0 hooks and large muppetts, I was after big fish.
With large Mack flappers attached to the hooks, as soon as it hit the bottom, bang, fish on and a good one, up comes a lovely 5lb cod, ( I had sierts attention, 2nd drop, bang another one, then some cracking whiting ( for me a cracking whiting is over 2.5lb!! I am fussy about whiting)
By now Siert was looking for his biggest rigs in the box, and as he was doing this I mentioned ( and dezzer will know about this) it’s about time a double figure cod turned up, BANG, fish on, and this was a bigger fish, up to the net comes a lovely 9lb cod, close enough and my biggest this year. I added three more 8-9lber’s before it was time to head as darkness was coming in fast.
It just goes to show if you can get out there is still some great sport to be had, we ended up with 11 species for the day ,and a full freezer each, cannot be bad, then like an idiot I listened to the radio on the way home and discovered we are all going to get screwed , rather put a dampener on the day
Regards
screeming
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: freezer day out cork 24/11/10

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 pm

yeah, weather forecasts :roll: if you stick to them you'll never get out fishing :wink: a bit like politics, main thing is you don't loose your instincts :D and ye will be rewarded!
Smashing catches, big well done gents 8) (and I'm not a wee bit envious, blanked again the 314th time in a row myself, hahaha) but that's another story... :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Great fishing men . Some lovely fish there.

Well done.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Excellent fish. Well worth going out in the freezing conditions for :D No wonder you where so glad you didn't listen to the forecast, look what you would have missed out on if you didn't just go for it and head out.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Great Stuff what a selection of fish...supper ling...got me think bout a boat now... 'again'... :)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 pm

cracking session great pics as well

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Nice fishing.
Was watching the window myself but damned work got in the way.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Great fishing :shock:
Last edited by seaotter on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:17 am

hi,thanks lads,
Would just like to add, that though i ignored the small boats warning, as people know i have a pretty good handle on the weather due to my job.
If you are unsure at anytime about the forecast please errr on the safe side .
The magic seaweed site is very good, but for what its going to do in real time you will not get better than the 3 hour forecast on the met eir'n site its very accurate.
If you know how to read synoptic charts then www.euro.wx.propilots.net is the best site for charts produced by bracknell
regards
screeming

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 am

fine cod would like some of them from the shore 8)