Postby pete » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:34 pm

People:Myself and five others

Duration:8 hours

Tide:

Weather:Blazing hot and calm

Bait:Mackerel and feathers

Rigs:

Results:

Report: Took a day out with charter skipper Hugh Maguire fishing around the Blaskets. It was a blazing hot day and we encountered plenty of pollock and coalies. They must have been heavy on the ground because quite often they were taking bare feathers two and three at a time, home in Donegal Bay those days are long gone so it was refreshing to see such good numbers again.

Other species landed included a handfull of ling, pouting, poor cod, sandeel, mackerel, cuckoo and ballan wrasse. Nice man Hugh and he worked hard to put us on fish. The scenery was breathtaking and we even got to see Haughey's red deer on his island!

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby SeanP » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi Pete,
Sounds like you had a good day there, don't suppose the Seatrout were biting at Currane then :( any joy with the Bass? and did you get chance to fish from Culoo?
Sean,
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby pete » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:45 am

Pure dung Sean, sea trout were a disaster on Currane though the weather was..should we say..unsuitable! Lovely for sunbathing but crap for fish with no eyelids! Half way through the week the mate rang me from Donegal to tell me he had a 5lb salmon and a 2 3/4lb sea trout so I think I should have stayed at home!

Bass fishing was poor too. Had one follow on a plug and the mate lost a good fish and that was the height of it. This was all at Waterville. Fished a night session at Tralaher but only had tiny congers, wee buggers seem to move onto the sand at night.

Only got a couple of hours at Culoo, got nothing on the bottom but macks were plentiful. Lots of other anglers fishing mackerel there and generally an impressive looking mark.

Still it was great to be off work and in a lovely part of the world.

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Swords Fish » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 am

Was in Cahirciveen over the weekend & overheard a guy in a Pub complaining that fishing day wasn't great - seemingly he couldn't get to the good fish through all the Mackerel shoals .....poor guy I felt like selling up & moving to the south west there & then !!!
Swords Fish

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports