Cobh International Deep Sea Angling Festival - Report

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 am

People:50 Anglers (Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Germany & Holland)

Duration:Mon 6th Sept - Fri 10th Sept (4 days)

Tide:Mostly last of ebb & start of flood

Weather:Glorious for first two days; a bit more like normal for last two.

Bait:Fresh & Frozen Mackeral

Rigs:Various (mostly pirk rigs for conger)

Results:Over 1000 fish

Report:I've been a bit late getting this report up; its taken me a week to recover :lol: . You certainly need a bit of stamina; early mornings, fishing all day, back to the pub, a few hours sleep, repeat 4 times :D .

It was a great week, though. The weather was relatively good, the craic was great, and the fishing was excellent. This is a unique enough competition. Points are scored by weight of fish; for every kilo of fish you get 10 points and you are also awarded 5 points per fish. Tactics to win are usually to concentrate on pollack fishing or conger fishing.

Danny Kane (aka ROADRUNNER) won the event this year and he opted to concentrate on conger. Danny had over 1800 pts which equates to over 160kgs of fish for the week; an average of 40kgs of fish per day or over 90lbs of fish a day :shock: . Needless to say Danny is foregoing his membership for the gym and is now concentrating on practising for the 2011 Festival. He reckons conger fishing will keep him in better shape :lol: .

As well as the usual trophies for first prize Danny also collected a cheque for €1000 :shock: :D . In second place was Paul Tennant of Cobh SAC, who collected €400, and in third, Richie Fortune, also of Cobh SAC, who collected €200. The Ireland B team won the team event and collected €400.

Over 1000 fish were caught during the week which included 468 conger and 312 pollack amongst others. The biggest fish of the week was a 17kg conger but there were many in the 15kg range. For a more detailed report have a look at http://cobhsac.blogspot.com/2010/09/2010-festival.html

Preparations are already underway for the 2011 event. This will be the 45th year that Cobh SAC has run the Festival and we are now taking entries. If you'd fancy fishing this competition or would like more information contact Cobh SAC Club Secretary, Mary Geary at seaangling@esatclear.ie. There are plenty of prizes to be won so even if you are not in the top fifteen there is plenty still to fish for!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cobh International Deep Sea Angling Festival - Report

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Well Done Danny!
You are no slouch yourself Pat..... most fish for the week!

("Deletes comment made on the conger picture and hides the keyboard" :D :D :D )

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Sandra finds out I'm after posting the conger picture there'll be all hell to pay.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:02 am

My God what's Sandy doing to that poor eel. :D :D
and do you honestly think she is not going to find out, :shock:

Yappo

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:27 am

like that movie "teeth" only much much worse.. :shock:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 am

Great report and pix, late or not...

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 am

Nice one pat. Sounds like a crackin weeks fishing. The photo of sandra made me laught. More the name than the photo really. It looks more like the conger was getting to grips with her. :lol: