Swilly Explorer, Rathmullan, Donegal 18/09/10

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:23 am

People: Millisle S.A.C - Including forum members> Bingham, N.I.Fisher, Davy McCormick, Drew

Duration: 10am - 6pm

Tide: Variety but around 1.2 for a good portion of the day...

Weather: As long as it didn't rain between the showers, no wait, it did.

Bait: Everything!

Rigs: Match, Flowing traces, Feathers, stuff like that...

Results:

1. David McCormick
2. Roy
3. Drew

Species: Coalfish, Pollack, Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Poor Cod, Pouting, Codling, Tub Gurnard, Red Gurnard

Report:

9 Members of Millisle SAC Made the annual pilgrimage to Rathmullan, Co Donegal. The weather was as forecast and the rain didn't stop all day. But we came prepared and everyone was in a good spirit as we made our way out to the 16' to gather some mackeral for bait. Skipper found them very quickly, and soon we were getting a good variety of chunky macks as well as a few nice wee joeys.
So after we had gathered enough bait, it was time for the competition to begin. Angela was keeping the scores which kept everything fair, and the skip gave each side 1/2 an hour of the drift. Immediately everyone started picking up the usual miriad of gurnard species, Angela really had her work cut out for her at times as the sport was hectic! Codling and Coalies also made an appearance hear in patches. I was fishing a spreader carrying 2x2ft of line, terminating in a spinner blade and around 10 Multi Coloured/Luminous beads to a 2/0 wormholder, which seemed to attract more coalies and codling than gurnards! Also when we were on this ground myself and another angler picked up a doggie each, very valuable for the species points later.
After a few hours on the 16, Angela was out with the teas and the coffee which went down really well in the rough weather! Thanks to Angela for that! Decision was made for a bit of a shift, so it was off the to the wreck of the Laurentic to find some more species. I switched to a Holo Sandeel from Storm on a 6ft flowing trace which picked me up a few nice Pollack, in and around 4-5lb. Besides the Pollack and a few pouting and Poor Cod, I think that's really all we picked up out there.
We moved to a sheltered bay down the side of Fanad to see if there were any of the Rays in residence. After around 20 minutes and no fish, we decided on the final move for the day, which was the Reef at the lighthouse.
A variety of methods were employed around the reef, with Pollack, Coalies, and some lovely Ballan wrasse being caught. I jellywormed for a while with no success, and then tried for the wrasse, again, an epic fail, But the man beside me... Bingham.... Was a wrasse catching machine, with at least 3 of his fish over 2lb in weight, great to see, and moving him up into 4th position for the day.
Skipper called lines up just after five, then it was time to relax on our steam back up the Swilly...
Great day, thanks to Angela and the Skipper.
Well done to Davy.... (Lucky Sod), can't wait for the next one! =]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fF2SLxrU6T0
Last edited by Drew on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Swilly Explorer, Rathmullan, Donegal 18/09/10

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 am

I was on the other boat out from Rathmullan yesterday with a few guys from work.

You guys stuck the weather better than we did.

When we were fishing out near you we got a mix of mackerel, codling & gurnard.

We headed back into the shelter of the lough and hit a shoal of whiting with some dogs thrown in for a bit of variety.

The guy who organised the trip was really disappointed that he'd dragged us up to Donegal for such poor fishing but given the weather I think we did okay.

ps. I caught a scad, so thats another new species for me.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 am

I was the arse who bounced out of the blue people carrier looking goofy! lol...
You boys in for about 5pm? It was a good day, but the weather sort of dampened things!
I'm about to add a video to the original post there, so it should be up within the next 1/2hr, hr or so...

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:11 am

Yeah, in for 5.00. We packed in 30 minutes early (there's only so many 8" whiting you can throw back!)

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 am

That's a real pity dude. Some difference between the 2 boats then!
On the plus side, ya did get your Scad.... Havent had one of those this year myself!
I got my first Tub of the year though... 8)

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:02 am

8) nice results Drew for your boat comp;
for that was bismil weather to fish in, well done to you's all.
me and tom seen the charter boats heading out from rathmullan, we were fishing from the pier at buncrana, and from around 7am till we left at 3.30 the rain never stopped, even the wet gear never kept it out :twisted: we were soaked right threw.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks num1,

Yeah, really was nasty weather, but at least we were fishing eh?

Link to the video is now available on my original post.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 am

nice one lads 8) that's a great charter, we drew it for the culdaff comp. good to see you did well in tough conditions 8)

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:50 am

Al and Jordan wrote:nice one lads 8) that's a great charter, we drew it for the culdaff comp. good to see you did well in tough conditions 8)

Saw the Pics of Jordan in Irish Angler this month dude. Great to see!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 pm

cheers drew :D only down side was that i had to go out and buy about a half dozen copys for him :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I see your video clip's from later in the trip when you moved into the shelter of the lough.

I'd have been worried about the camera going over the side if you'd been filming earlier!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:53 pm

nobuzz wrote:I see your video clip's from later in the trip when you moved into the shelter of the lough.

I'd have been worried about the camera going over the side if you'd been filming earlier!

lmao, She was messy enough at times... people/boxes flying from 1 side t'other, etc etc...
Not the worst weather I've been out in mind....

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:22 pm

AHH as if I didnt see enough of Andrew pulling wrasse after wrasse and now youve went and put it online :lol:

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Laffin my ass off dude! :lol:

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:41 am

davy mccormick wrote:AHH as if I didnt see enough of Andrew pulling wrasse after wrasse and now youve went and put it online :lol:

u should be used to it by now davey :lol: