Sceirde Rocks, Uaim an Urlar, etc 24/6

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 am

People:myself, father

Duration:07.30 to 15:30

Tide:Taoille

Weather:Big swell, wind died later

Bait:feathers,mackerel and sandeel

Rigs:feathers and 3 hook flapper

Results:Plenty of Pollock 6lbs + along with 1 14lb, Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, Sandeel, Mackerel, Dogfish, Ling, Coalfish

Report: Annual Trip to The Gates of Hell as the English use to refer to the area, Sceirde Rocks, typical species as before, unfortunately no tope on this occasion.

Re: Sceirde Rocks, Uaim an Urlar, etc 24/6

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Sounds like a great days fishin, lots of fish and a great pollock of 14lb, only dream of them over here on the East cost.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Pardon my ignorance but where exactly is Sceirde Rocks :?:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Is this it?
http://www.4coffshore.com/windfarms/sce ... -ie05.html

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:44 pm

I debated whether to answer or not, but here's a short one. Yes, Sceirde Rocks are off Mweenish island and the Carna Cost. They are the guardians of the main approaches to Galway Bay, in the north, with Earragh Lighthouse with the Bracklin bank (small & large, note there is 10-15 fathoms on bracklin but it breaks in heavy seas) to the south.

This is where the Arosa and the St Oliver we lost along with many other vessels over the centuries RIP to those sailors and fishermen. This is not a place for the faint hearted or novice, its extremely hazardous, with various degrees of submerged reefs and with a swell its challenging as the ocean floor rises form about 40-50 fathoms to 10-6 fathoms in some case on LW. The only way is up, remember your wave theory from physics (wavelength and amplitude)!!!

Again an excellent spot, with multiple species. Use a local boatman if attempting to fish this area.

Sean

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Have to agree with Sean. A very dangerous place for those not in the know. Reefs everywhere but with fantastic and very little fishing. In the past I have witnessed 200lb skate, numerous blue shark, double figure pollack Cod and ling and have seen 18 different species landed in a boat for the day (8 anglers). Good advice from sean, consult a local first before venturing out there.

Caz