Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 pm

People:16 Borough SAC anglers

Duration: 6 hours 9.30-15.30

Tide: low water 12.30

Weather: Glorious but a little windy

Bait: rag, musell,squid

Rigs: various

Results: fantastic

Report: From the minute lines went down fish were steadily flowing onto the boat 2 & 3 at a time :D :D :D . Cod were really plentiful :D :D :D and if this is an indication of a stock recovery then we should be catching bigger fish next year. Lots of wrasse also. Pollock not as plentiful. Coalies, ling, various gurnards, dabs, dogs etc were caught. Scores were very high :D :D :D . Congrats to Graham Garvey who won with 1590 points and to visiting angler Joe Mc Loughlin with 1150. ....... some scores!!!!!! Thanks to the 2 excellent skippers for the great day out. As usual they were very helpful.

Hopefully, the next comps in Ballycotton will be as good. The dates are 17th & 18th July. We have 3 spaces available for these outings if any anglers would like to join us.

Have some nice photos but for some reason site will not let me load them. Will try again

Re: John Deveraux & Dick Hayes,Kilmore Quay, 28/06/10

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:12 pm

Pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 am

great to see happy fishermen. and even happier skippers. well done stan and all concerned

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:33 am

Well done men, theres plenty of cod out there at the moment.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:44 pm

there not cod there codling bad days fishing by looks of it.i always find kilmore a waste of money.take a tip from me next time ur planning a trip keep driving till ur in union hall and get on board colin barnes boat and youll catch cod 20-25lb cod

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 pm

there not cod there codling bad days fishing by looks of it.i always find kilmore a waste of money.take a tip from me next time ur planning a trip keep driving till ur in union hall and get on board colin barnes boat and youll catch cod 20-25lb cod

Dont agree in the slightest, Kilmore Quay is probably the best (and cheapest) Charter venue in the country for sheer numbers and variety of fish. Always had savage fishing out of it. Thats not to knock Colin Barnes either who is very good at what he does by all accounts but to call Kilmore a waste of money....?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 pm

jimmy keane wrote:there not cod there codling bad days fishing by looks of it.i always find kilmore a waste of money.take a tip from me next time ur planning a trip keep driving till ur in union hall and get on board colin barnes boat and youll catch cod 20-25lb cod

hi jimmy i understand were your coming from on charters in kilmore spent a good few years fishing on them but there are great reefs and the species you can catch as as good as anywere in the country .wrecking is not one of there strongest points so you are unlikely to catch bigger fish in kilmore but you can have great day with numbers of fish for boat comps its great .going for specimens is a different ball game down there i have being out 30 miles in kilmore and you will find the bigger ones but not everyone has a boat to do 28 knots out and back but there are a few skippers down there willing to make the effort for anyone that wants to pay the extra money for the longer trip

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Great to see loads of Codling coming up, lets hope the trawlers don't read this and rape the area.

As for Cod/Codling it depends what you want, a day pulling lots of smaller fish or just one or two big fish. Its not always about the size, :wink: that what the wife tells me anyway!!!! :(

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:09 am

Would have to agree with JimmyKeane...been a regular fishing out of Kilmore the last 10 years and have to say the last 3-4 year have noticed a serious decline in fishing, this year and last year were terrible , would have got more off the beach, if you willing to go a few miles further the results are far better, having said that Eamonn Hayes is the best skipper iv been out with in Kilmore but that was 3 years ago, i haven't been out with John Devereux yet...

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 am

Hi Depends what you are after, but siert and myself had 24 species within 3 miles of kilmore yesterday, see boat report, maybe not the 20lb'ers, but some great fishing
regards
screeming

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 am

The fishing was excellent with everybody catching lots of fish :D . The weather was brilliant :D . The skippers were first class :D . The winner had 1590 points :!: The crack was mighty :lol: . How can that be a poor days fishing :?: :?:

The Borough SAC fish all around Ireland and I would have to say that Kilmore is one of the most reliable venues.

I fish from Ardmore and Youghal most of the summer and the fishing is similar to Kilmore.

Not everybody can or wants to wreck fish for a possible 25lb cod. How many of these are in the specimen fish committee awards this year?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am

Hi
People who put in the time and effort to get the specimen lunkers by going to the far offshore wrecks deserve there rewards, but as many people who wreck fish knows, there are 4 busted trips to one successful one!! ( ask Jim from Cork!!) and with the cost for such trips ,especially for a small boat , it takes a very dedicated angler to do this.
But, the commercial liners and netters know exactly when these fish inhabit the wrecks, hence making it a lottery as to if there will be fish there, after your 2-3 hour steam to get to them.
At least theres hope for us all when a 20lb coalfish was captured close inshore near cork last week, as with all angling, You Just Never Know!!!! thats the beauty of fishing
regards
screeming