Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 pm

People:myself and davebouy

Duration:930am till 700pm

Tide:llow water 1.50pm

Weather:misty and a bit breezy later

Bait:fresh macks, fresh peelers,rag, lug,squid

Rigs:sabikis hokais feathers

Results:thornies to 18lb .tub gurnard .dabs. whiting lsd .huss.and mackeral

Report:our trip out with paulb was put off on sat till today .great descision slack winds and temps up to 22 decrees.we headed out to find the elusive mackeral. after an hour we had 2 paul also had 2.moved a few times at the back of the island then we hit 6 .so with 8 fresh macks paul took us to one of his marks .anchored up and the dogs arrived. stopped counting after 10 each we had alunch break and then the first of 3 thornies struck. weighing in at 8 lb my first ray for 3 yrs happy days .dave was taking pics when one of the baited rods took a hit. a lovely gurnard weighing 2lb while this was going on the dogs were attacking every bait.rods were hopping i then struck a really good bull huss. lifting it on to the boat it dropped off the hook but i got a great fight off it. baited up again and then i struck what i reckoned to be the fish of the day the rod was well bent and i found it hard to pump after a few minutes got it to the top of the water and what had happened was the ray had wrapped its tail around the trace and i was pulling it in backwards. the arms and shoulders were aching after that .but had no time to stop[not that i wanted too]
it weighed just under 10 lb. we then went an hour with just doggiesthen got a huge bite i struck and it struck back
tope i thought but it wasent running like a tope but i knew it was a goo d fish dave stood by with the net and on board my 3rd thornie and a personal best 18lb .paul was having trouble with his anchor and had drifted off but he was also kept busy with ray tope and dogs the best days fishing iv had in a number of years my eyes are dropping as im typing this.all my thanks goes to paulb for a day out we will not forget for a long time will put up pictures when i get daves camera off him

Re: edelboy howth 21st june

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 pm

well done lads nice few fish there looking forward to the pics

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 am

Great results m8, can't wait to see photos either.

Would have loved to be out there but I'm trying to work up some more "Brownie Points" in order to get out again.

Damien

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:59 am

Glad you enjoyed the trip Derek.I had 2 Ray best 7lbs,1 Tope 11bs and a plague of dogs.

It was one of those days for me when nothing went right.First I hit a hidden reef of Balscadden luckily I did only minor damage to the prop.(anyone know where I'd get it straightened ? ).Next my anchor wouldn't hold which I never had a problem with :evil: :evil: .Then the top eye fell off my good rod just for good measure.Anyway theres always another day !!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am

id say you were scared to take a p-ss. after all that :lol: we dident get away scott free either dave sat on the window pulling up the anchor and neary end ed up in the cabin :lol: took us a good hour to fix it back in on the mooring but again thanks very much paul for a smashing days fishing kilmore? never heard of it :lol:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:58 pm

well done derek great fishing 18lb ray is a cracker 8) cant wait for the pic :wink:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Still waiting on daves photos heres a couple from last night(kitchen) :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Good man Twinkle :D A lovely outing and a cracker of ray. :shock: Put up a picture of your frying pan, that must be a whopper too :D :D

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm

[quote="Paul B"]

It was one of those days for me when nothing went right.First I hit a hidden reef of Balscadden luckily I did only minor damage to the prop.(anyone know where I'd get it straightened ? )

It'll have to be welded back into shape I'm afraid, but its not a dear job, after the same embarrassment last year outside Killala I got mine done for €40. How about Twinkle's friendly mechanics?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm

hey dereck what ya doin washin yer carpet

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Hugo thanks for that ,

They say they can't do it.Where did you get your's done??

I went out today to remove the prop but the nut is jammed on there :twisted: :twisted:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm

BTW Derek...that 18lb Ray is a specimen !!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:39 pm

IWAI - Buy a boat in Ireland - Chandlery Stores in Ireland
MEC Fabricators Ltd., Finglas, Dublin 11, www.mecfabs.com, +353 (0)1 8362315, Propeller repair and manufacture. Marine & Industrial Distribution, www.mid.ie ...
www.iwai.ie/irishchandlers.html - Cached - Similar found these there up off jamestown road in finglas

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Paul B wrote:
I went out today to remove the prop but the nut is jammed on there :twisted: :twisted:

Possibly it was overtightened before the split pin was put in. I always leave mine with a fraction of play, its the splines that do the gripping, the nut is there mainly to stop the prop falling off.

Try a liberal dose of WD40 overnight, if that doesnt work, try heating the nut gently with a small gas blowtorch. Wedge a piece of timber between the prop blades as a lever to give you purchase against the wrench.

Mine was repaired locally in Ballina, Twink's got a great list of Dublin expertise there.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Paul B wrote:BTW Derek...that 18lb Ray is a specimen !!

hi, is it not 20lb for a specimen thorn back ray!!

cracker ray haven't seen one that size in long time well done.

brian

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:09 pm

brianbru wrote:
Paul B wrote:BTW Derek...that 18lb Ray is a specimen !!

hi, is it not 20lb for a specimen thorn back ray!!

cracker ray haven't seen one that size in long time well done.

brian

your dead right brian, there seems to be a lot of confusion with specimen ray sizes :shock: :wink:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 pm

specimen or not crackin ray there

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:10 pm

its a specimen now alright just going to the toilet :lol:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 pm

twinkle wrote:its a specimen now alright just going to the toilet :lol:

:shock: you ate it already.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:47 pm

i fed eight adults and 2 kids with it .god it was gorgous 8)