Switch to full style
OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing
Topic locked

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:32 am

Yeah nice one! :lol:
That is a very good site, it could be the one alright. Its definatly the closest pic i have seen yet.But as you said its a long way around and what would a tropical fish be doing over here? Maybe Global warming is happening quicker than we think!
Thanks Bigbill.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:51 pm

Hi guys,
I have finally got the official answer to this fish from the Irish Fisheries Board. It is not as rare as I thought :cry: . It is known as CHUB MACKEREL ( Scomber Japonicus ).
Think it might be more popular in the UK and they have a record.
This fish has never been recorded to be caught on rod and line in Ireland! It wont go on the species list until there is a few more caught so come on lads keep a close eye on your mackerel, they are easily missed.
The things you have to do to get a new species recognised here! This is a first for Angling in Ireland, thought there would be more interest!!!
So global warming isn't affecting us!!!

Thanks for all the replies. Here is some links to id this fish.

http://www.fao.org/figis/servlet/species?fid=3277

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/species ... =japonicus

Chub or Spanish Mackerel (Scomber colias & S. japonicus)

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:29 am

Hello Neville,

Glad to see that you finally had your unusual mackerel identified positively. It was what I thought it was: Spanish Mackerel = Chub Mackerel. The scientific name was recently changed from Scomber japonicus to S. colias.

Quigley, D.T.G. & Flannery, K. (1994) Spanish mackerel Scomber japonicus (Houttuyn, 1782) in Irish waters: a further record and a review of Irish records. Ir. Nat. J. 24: 505-507.

Quigley, D.T.G. & Mullins, E. (2004) Fish Note: Spanish or chub mackerel Scomber colias (Gmelin, 1789). Ir. Nat. J. 27(10): 410.

Wheeler, A.C., Merrett, N.R. & Quigley, D.T.G. (2004) Additional records and notes for Wheeler’s (1992) “List of the Common and Scientific Names of Fishes of the British Isles” J. Fish Biol. 65 (Supplement B): 1-40.

Quigley, D.T. (1985) Mackerel family comprises 48 species
The Irish Skipper August 1985

Quigley, D.T. (1985) Tuna and other members of the mackerel
family in Irish waters. Anglin News 1985
Topic locked