Ling Rocks

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Ling Rocks

Postby cobh-skipper » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:36 am

Hello ppl,

trip to the rock last weekend, we departed crosshaven at around 10 15 sat morn.
we stopped on the smiths for a few drifts before heading to the rock.
the first few drifts produced a few very small ling and one or two in the 3 to 5 lb range and a bit of mixed stuff codling wrasse and young pollock. we moved for the ling rocks at around 12 15, and steamed the 7.5 miles in around 30 minutes.
our first drift produced very little, a coulpe of wrasse and a large pouting.
so i moved between two large peeks, the next drift produced a few nice ling and near the end of the drift we hit a mixture of black pollock and pollock. unable to resist the crash diving antics of the pollock we went to anchor over them and got stuck in.
the first pollock after the anchor going down fell to me, on a 20lb class rod, he really put it to the the test, he stripped line off my penn longbeach and fought all the way up to just under the boat and spat the jelly worm
but i went straight back down and hooked into a good 6pounder that fought just as hard.
this continued for around an hour and a half with plenty of pollock coming into the boat. i changed over to a flowing trace after that baited with a flapper, and a short time later i was into a double figure ling ...
a few more ling and a few congers and plenty of pouting rounded off the trip, so a great days fishing.
and to make it even better it was like a summers day.

next trip planned for saturday or saturday week.

tight lines
cobh-skipper

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports